need some help for the spawn.

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by montgomery#1, Feb 7, 2008.

1. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    i need some help for the crappie spawn. wanting to get into fishing for them in the spring and summer. live bait is illegal except for worms so i cant use live minnows. i need help bad. i wanna show my dad up because he always fishes in the boat and i fish the bank more. i can catch cats gills bass trout and the occasional hybrid striper but no crappie. any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

2. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I use a red and white tube on a 1/32 jig with "crappie nimbles" inside the tube.
    Bill

3. jgoforthh

jgoforthh New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hey there if you want to show your dad up it would be nice if you could use some minnows but if you cant it could get tricky. depending on where i go i will use jigs sometimes, especialy if there are plenty of baitfish. jigs are ussually better doing a vertical up and down presentation but you can use them off the bank as well. if you are going to wait untill the spring bite is in full you must find some cover within maybe 10 foot off the bank to right on the bank depending on the lake. i would approach this time of year with no float but in the spring i would use a float try 3 foot deep, but you will have to change depths to find them. i use a small egg float flipped upside down and ussually a pearl white or salt and pepper jig (skirted) with a 1/16 ounce jig head. if alot of shad a present use a panfish assassin shaped like a shad and just kind of jerk it through the water, not hard just enough to dance it a little. since they wont allow live bait then there most likely is no shad in the lake. i hope this helps crappie fishing is great. fun to catch and good to eat. look for cover along the banks within 10 foot and remember if you dont get a bite in 10 to 15 minutes try somewhere else and go back to that spot later you never know when theyll slide in.

4. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    thanks bill. oh do ya know about when the spawn starts. if ya do it would be much appreciated. thanks agian and talk to ya later.

5. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    i know rite where to go theres some weed beds where i catch carp it about 10 to 15 feet off the bank. iv caught lots of gills out of there some big ones to the biggest was about a pound or so. the only bad thing is the tiger musky they move in shallow to feed on the little gills perch and crappie. thanks for the help Jason.

6. jgoforthh

jgoforthh New Member

State:
    kentucky
    weed beds are good but you need to cut some cedar trees and tie rocks to em and sink em where you know where they are that way you have good crappie habitat where only you know. and dont sink em where you cut em alot of people look for cut off trees just to find someone elses spot. and crappie start theyre spawn here in kentucky in the middle of march to the first of april, but i dont know about out west.

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Wow no live bait?! Thats most of my experience. For the spawn I look for flats along the shore that has access to deep water. In PA, may & april is a good time.

8. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    alright ill have to talk to fish and game though. they dont like people doing that because the lake is more for water skiers and such. so ill find out what i can do. and thanks for giving me an idea of when the spawn is. thanks again.

9. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    yeah no live bait the division says it is cruel. utah is starting to act alot like colorado. them tree hugging S,O,B,'s the division is ruining all the fun of catching your own live bait. the fine for using live bait is about $300.00 for minnows and shad. the price for catching a gizzard shad is alot higher because they are supposed to be endangerd. but any lake that has them are crowded by all of them. we still have alot of places that we can go fish with live worms and craws ( just found out crawfish can be used while live. thanks again. talk to ya later.

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the reason minnows and other live baitfish are illegal in utah are to protect their fragile trout fishery. a nonnative prolific fish like a minnow will compete with trout fry and has the potential to put a serious dent in trout populations, and utah relies a lot on the revenue genrated by fishing. i learned all this when i got a citation on the bear river by logan for using live minnows on a jighead. the big browns would hit them without hesitation and i caught a bunch before the conservation officer showed up and nailed me.
    i don't know when yall's crappie start spawning, but down here i kill them during the spawn on 2" panfish assassins and a 1/32 oz. jighead. the lighter weight jighead makes it where you can use a slower retrieve, and the assassins require almost no speed to make the tail go crazy. you'll have to figure out what color will work, as crappie change their mind about color for no apparent reson at all. i use chartreuse and silver phantom. find you a ledge in shallow water, or some submerged brush or trees and the crappie should be there.

11. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    they should atleast let us use minnows that we catch in the same water where they were caught. the state does have the right to do that though but say a guy catches minnow and uses them live like at mantua where the fathead minnow was introduced they should let us use those minnows in that same body of water. such as the small perch you might catch at echo they should let us use those live at that body of water. or strawberry they should let us use live chubs for the big cuts and bows. atleast thats what i think.

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i agree 100%. like down here the big blues and flatties love small carp, but certain lakes have rules against using live carp for fear of introducing them. this one here has a creek mouth coming into the lake that's a good spot for shad. at night you can throw a net down there right where it comes in, and catch as many 4" carp as you want. but you could be fined for using them. if there is no risk of introducing an already introduced species, what could it hurt?

13. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    i agree like at ogden bay you can hardly catch any thing but carp except for the occasional bass channel or a musky. ( some body introduced musky to bring the carp population down and it wasnt me ). so they wont let us use any thing more than 1 cubic inch for bait any more. all over a musky of all things. the state introduced them at pine view to stop people from fishing it so heavy and saving it for the skiers and such. so they imposed the 1 cubic inch rule. and the size limit is 40 inches or longer. they need to make it about 30 to lower the population of them critters so they dont kill of all the crappie and other valuable species that were there first. and thats all ive got to say. ill talk to you later.

14. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I would be packing up my wife and kids and there pets and my boat and moving to a state where I had the privelidges of chooosing how I wanted to fish. and I would not even look back as I left they would not be getting my taxes any more.. thats the way I see It...

15. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    If you rig your line up with slip bobber thats almost neutral boyancy get crappie rod 10 feet or longer , 1/32 oz jig heads with a variety of squids at your disposal and some crappie bits that have the sparkles in them ,six lb or lighter test line you shouldnt do bad at all .