Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so i was at the ramp the other night preparing to launch at dusk and ended up talking to this old guy who thought that the state record flathead had been broken 3 times in the past year and is now up to around 60 pounds. As far as i knew it was still in the mid 48's. He swore he caught a 48 but didn't get it weighed because it wasn't even close to the new record. Unfortunately he ate it :( So have i been out of the game too long or is he just crazy?

· Registered
507 Posts
I'm sick of hearing those stories. Most of the ones I hear about are from the susky. Just more idiots that catch a 20 lber once every few years and claims it weighs 60. No claims are worth ANYTHING without pics! Its internet fishing board law.

· Banned
10,335 Posts
Alright so i was at the ramp the other night preparing to launch at dusk and ended up talking to this old guy who thought that the state record flathead had been broken 3 times in the past year and is now up to around 60 pounds. As far as i knew it was still in the mid 48's. He swore he caught a 48 but didn't get it weighed because it wasn't even close to the new record. Unfortunately he ate it :( So have i been out of the game too long or is he just crazy?
If I got a dollar for every PA hillbilly who has told me they caught a 60lb flathead, I'd be rich!

Like Romo said, it's just another weekend fisherman who lucked upon a 20lb flathead and being that it's the biggest fish he's caught, claims it to be 50 to 60 lbs.

Trust me, around here a 10lber can easy transform into a 20lber!

· Registered
1,663 Posts
Shoot, I had a 60#er on the other night. Caught him on a leftover hotpocket(ham&cheese). Fought him for 6 hours. By the time I got it to the boat, he done lost 49lbs and changed over to a channel.... or maybe it was a mudcat. Oh hell, I don't know anyways it had whiskers.

G

·
Shoot, I had a 60#er on the other night. Caught him on a leftover hotpocket(ham&cheese). Fought him for 6 hours. By the time I got it to the boat, he done lost 49lbs and changed over to a channel.... or maybe it was a mudcat. Oh hell, I don't know anyways it had whiskers.
Whatcha chasing down those steak and eggs on the Sea Ark with hoss?? Vodka & OJ???:giggle:

· Registered
7,822 Posts
Louis he is crazy. the kid that gave me the trout for bait saturday told me he caught a 35 pounder on piece of spam. 10 minutes later it weighed 25 pounds. half hour later it was 40 then before he left it was back in the 20's. then of course he had a friend who caught one that was 55 pounds on a hot dog. yeesh what ya have to listen to sometimes.

· Registered
James N ... Central California.
10,295 Posts
That is what makes fishing so enjoyable LOL who care's if the next guy is lying ...You know he is and so does every one around him, Just go along and make up a bigger story by the end of the nite the guy caught a 100 pound trout on a private pond lol who care's.

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha thanks guys. That's what I figured, but i thought maybe since i was away at college all year i might have missed something. He was definitely a little crazy in the head. said he caught his 48 out of his canoe with an old spinning rod with 10 pound test haha. that's why i always take pics. got out for my first time this past weekend, biggest was a 17. Guess im still a bit rusty from all that bass and trout fishing nonsense haha

· Registered
10,863 Posts
A little off topic why do you think our record so low and surrounding states are in the 70S.
Rik - Pa is at the northernmost tip of the Flathead range. Our growing season is much shorter than southern states where they feed and grow year round. Our Flattys are dormant from sometime in Nov. till around Apr. depending on the part of the state your in with the exception of Bluemarsh where state record Flatheads strike lures in Dec.!

· Banned
718 Posts
Rik - Pa is at the northernmost tip of the Flathead range. Our growing season is much shorter than southern states where they feed and grow year round. Our Flattys are dormant from sometime in Nov. till around Apr. depending on the part of the state your in with the exception of Bluemarsh where state record Flatheads strike lures in Dec.!
lmao crazy right scott in dec...wtf!!! lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.