Need some help catching bigger fish.

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by CatSkinner, Apr 23, 2007.

1. CatSkinner

CatSkinner New Member

State:
    Paducah, KY
    My biggest ever catfish was a 15lb Channel (pond caught).

I've only been in western Kentucky for the last year (Paducah Area) and I'm still learning where to fish. I fish the tail water at KY Lake pretty regular, but have yet to catch anything over a few pounds. I'm a little disappointed that I'm not even breaking 10lbs there.

Anyway, I have 3 heavy action rods, two spinning reels, and 1 bait caster. All are med-heavy to Heavy. I'm using 40lb big game line (green) on the two heavy rods and 25lb mono (Wal-Mart) on the other spinning reel. I'm also using 8/0 hooks I forget the brand, but they are "Octopus" hooks picked up at Gander Mountain in Paducah. I've also been using freshly cut Skip-Jack. I've been using a cross-cut piece (with gut-pocket) of skip-jack that is about 1/2" wide on two of the rods. On the last rod, I will use liver, night crawlers, stink bait, Minnows, etc... Depending on what their biting on, just to catch some eating fish.

Most of the time I use 8oz weights rigged so they slip, about 12 to 15" of leader with a large brass swivel in between. Sometimes I’ll fish under a float at about 2 to 5 foot depth.

Last night I spent about 5 hours right up against the dam (KY Lake). From about 4pm until 9:30pm, all I caught was a 15lb Drum, and a 3lb Channel. This has been typical for me.

I'm guessing I need to pull an all-nighter. I haven't done that in a while. However, I really, really, I can't stress enough how much I really want to start catching 10lb, 20lb, even 30lb cats. So, if one of you more experienced cat men want to take a novice out sometime, or point me to a good location to catch some nice catfish, or just offer some good advice, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,
    Tony

2. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    You might try using some live bait like shad or perch. That what I usually catch most of my big cats on. I have been known to bait up with a 6 to 7" shad before and have done real well. It sounds like you are fishing in some good spots it maybe just timing. I have fished for several weeks before I start landing the big ones. Just keep trying and you'll eventually get into them.