Need some help & advice about hooking bait fish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by tnkatman, Sep 20, 2008.

1. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Recently I've had trouble with my bait coming off when I get a bite, what I mean is the catfish are getting my whole live gills off the hook somehow. I use circle hooks & I'm hooking them the same way that I always have, behind the dorsal fin but tonight they got my bait off three times and the last time I went they got my bait off twice. I don't understand this. Does anyone have any suggestions, advice, or a better way of hooking live bait especially gills. Any info. is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Kevin

2. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Sounds like gar to me. Gar can strip a bait like that with no problem because of the shape of their mouths. I don't think theres anything wrong with the way you're hooking your bait, that's the way i've always hooked mine.

My advice is to move to a different hole.

3. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Down sizing your bait helps in some cases. Maybe try adding a kicker hook like walley rigs have. Both have faired well for me. I think they are short striking or in my case here it gar getting to it before a cat.

4. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Flats are great at doing what your talking about. You could downsize your bait, use a bigger hook for larger live bait, hook them through the nostril, but where your hookin them at is what I normally do, and sometimes a turtle fools me. Im almost certain its a flathead, but after about 3 or 4 bluegill getting took off I start thinking turtle and sometimes I catch the turtle.

5. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Hey Kevin, You are hooking them the way I have found best too.
    I have not had much trouble with a flattie "stealing" the bait. I too, believe it`s gotta be a turtle, gar, or anything but a flattie.
    Them ol flats are not shy. I "have" however, heard of them just laying "still" after swallowing their prey and not knowing they were even there until you started to check your bait and then what a surprise!
    All that aside, anything can happen, as we all know.
    What part of Memphis are you from? I am from there.

6. ronniethomas

ronniethomas New Member

State:
    iowa
    i like to run leader lines all of the way through your bait and let a treble hook set right at the butt of the bait; if that still doesn't work then try setting two treble hooks one just beyond the head and the other at the tail. good luck to ya