Need some good ideas on catching blues

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by catfishslayer05, Oct 16, 2005.

1. catfishslayer05

catfishslayer05 New Member

I need some good ways to catch blues,every time iI go fishing I catch alot of flatheads,Sometimes I will catch a blue. So what i'm trying to say is that I know how to fish for flatheads but i need some good advise on catching blue consistantly. :cool:

2. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I generally find most of my blues in holes at the head or the tail of a riffle. In deeper sections any kind of a current break usually holds fish. You can catch blues on the same baits you catch flats on...but blues will readily eat long dead cut bait or live, while a flat prefers live or fresh cut bait. Shad is tough to beat for blues.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Like Catcaller said fastwater current breaks are key. Shad cut or whole dead or alive, skipjack in the same manner. I preffer skipjack in the ohio here in this section in Ky, They seem to produce more and bigger fish.

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Maybe its just me or my area,but I rarely catch blues and flats out of the same hole.I would guess they prefer different habitats.

5. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

I've been catching Blues consistantly since 1993!
    Once a month my disability check arrives :D

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Cook, the Arkansas River is generally kept scoured pretty clean of woody structure for a couple or three miles below the dams, and the flatheads have to use rocky structure. I have caught both flatheads and blues in spots off the ends of rocky dikes and riprap on shore. The difference is that I seem to do better with blues when my jugs are floating downstream in the current, while flatheads will only hit a jug that's gotten hung and stopped moving.

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Generally deeper areas will hold the blues. Also using large cut baits and even the head sections will attract the blues more often. Try fishing rocky areas and around drop offs.

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thats funny right der, I dont care who you are dats funny.

9. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Here in Kerr Lake on the Arkansas River, I drift cut shad over dropoffs, thru holes and even around islands to connect with the blues.;)

10. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I guess the best advice I could give you is to read everything you can on this site, And keep on asking those Question's , and get out and fish as much as you can, We got some of the world's best catter's right here on this site, One of the member's holds the Lousanna State record for the blue cat.......By the way where do you live, I looked at your profile and there's a bunch of empty spots, You may have somebody living right next door to you that also is a member here.....

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    First, you have to be fishing where the Blue Cats live. If your not in an area known for this fishery, your not going to have much success. If your in an area known for this type of fishery, you want to target current eddy's, and open water structure. (humps, and holes included) As well, Blues tend to prefer rock and/or sandy bottoms, as opposed to mud banks and bottoms. You will also do well to fish deep areas, and flats creek channels, old river channels that are adjacent to these deep water areas. I dont know if you are fishing lakes or streams, so I can add to much to this. Hope this helps.:cool: