Need some flathead catfishing advice - New to the boc

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Bigcat1, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Bigcat1

Bigcat1 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Going fishing friday night just wondered what is a good bait for the big flatheads?I usually use bluegill and chicken liver.Should i fish shallow or deep?

2. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I usually go with small live bluegill on a big hook, I am not sure how well livers will do you for flatheads. Aim for stucture other than depth, lots of big cats roam at night eating crappie and small fish. I have hooked big ones near the bank.

3. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    It'll depend on your water depth, Personally I like to throw a bluegill(about 3"long) along the bank under a slip bobber about 3 feet down and then bluegills on bottom around structure.

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Don't know to much about the Flatheads,but want to Welcome you to the greatest Catfish Site around The BOC.

5. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    If your fishing for alot of fish use smaller live bait like bluegill around the 3-4 inch range. if your fishing for the big ones I use live bluegill bigger then my hand and the big ones stay alive alot longer then the smaller ones do. Just make sure when you go to fish for flatheads that you have the pole and the test line that your going to need because those big ones will give you a run for your money. I really wouldnt use chicken liver for flathead catfish.

6. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    At night, I fish kind of shallow and use live bluegill. Flatheads seem to come up in shallow water to eat smaller fish at night. Since it has been so hot lately, they may be a little deeper, though. I would try a little deeper at night fall, then maybe fish a little more shallow as the night progresses. Hope that helps and good luck!!

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Forget the chicken liver..I would use the largest bluegills I could find..I would fish shallow water at night , deeper water in the day, make sure you try to find some snags in the water and fish them.

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Use live fish - bluegills are good, so are bullheads, large chubs, etc. Livers are for channels.

As for depth, that's not an easy question. In general for flatheads, my prefered depth is right around 8 to 10 feet, but that's mostly a factor of the river I fish. Keep in mind that they will move shallow to feed at night. If you are fishing a lake, keep a bait near the bank.

9. Bigcat1

Bigcat1 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thank you all for the good advise i will let you all know how i do this week-end

10. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Try bullheads if they are legal in your state. Look in the thread I started; "Bullheads Really Do Work". I usually fish cut bream in the shallows around where the beds would be.

11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I use live medium to larger bluegills, creek chubs, and suckers. I also have used large goldfish in the past. If your bluegills die, try cutting them up and use the heads. Dont forget to match your hook size up with the size of baits you're using. You will need to have as much as the point and barb exposed as possible.

12. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    use either live or cut bait fish, shad, Blue gill or Bream are most prefered. fish structure during the daylight and then try fishing shallower at night, remember the two biggest feeding times are right after sun set and just before sun rise, so if you dont get any bites at the spot your at when the sun goes down dont go there when its getting ready to come back up, keep moving until you find where you can get a few bites and then go back there around sun up. hope this helped ya

13. Xterra_Man

Xterra_Man New Member

State:
    wv
    use live blue gill

14. stressedcat

stressedcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    Bigcat1

I too am very new to flat head fishin and the muddy mo is 1 mile from my house. i am bank fishin and my biggest problem is fighting the current of the river. I cast up stream and by the time my line is out and weights sink my line is 5 feet from the bank. Bait is readily avaiable but I can't get it in the deep of the river. Lost alot of rigs to shore debri. I'm all ears to any help from anybody.

thanks
    Kirk

15. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Mike

Where are you planning on going fishing at plz.

If ya could put your location in Ohio I may be able to help you a bit.

I agree with no livers if you want more Flatheads.

16. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I agree 100%... The biggest flatheads I have caught or seen caught were in less than 2' of water...don't forget sand bars...sometimes sand bars can be fish magnets....

If you fish structure, fish close to the structure in the day and fish away from the structure at night.

good luck!