Need Some Fiberglass Bank Poles

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Tulcat, May 15, 2006.

1. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I am wanting to accumulate some fiberglass bank poles for some setlines.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could use or where I could get them?

The only ones I could find on the Internet are a bit short for what I want (8' at about $13 each). I'm sure the length is based on shipping gets way out of hand for anything over 8' long or so.

Anyway, I walked the aisles at Home Depot with no luck, and am at a standstill.

Anyone have any ideas for a local purchase or any Internet offerings?

I would like something in the 10'-15' range if possible and stout enough for a big flattie.

PVC is just too flimsy and I would like something a bit less in diameter and solid.

I even thought about a surf rod blank but can't find them cheaper than a complete rod at wmart...maybe Gator might know where I could order some? 2 piece is fine (even better) as long as the joint is already there.

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Check the rod building section on ebay and buy you some rod blanks if you can't find them there let me know.

3. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I can also get you some about 13 to 15 foot as well. Just PM me.

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Jim,

I really don't know of any places for fiberglass blanks for your purpose but you might be surprised what you can catch on some natural made bank poles. Willow tree branches and even cane can take big fish with their limber tips and stout mid sections. I've caught flatheads over 30 pounds on 8 to 14foot cane poles before. I bury them at least two feet in a mud bank or even in shallow water. I've never had a pole come up missing from a fish that was too big and broke the pole or pulled it out of the mud. Now for insurance purposes I will tie a 20 oz to 2 liter bottle on my line in case I ever catch one that really rip's that pole out of the mud. This is still considered a limbline(with a float :big_smile: ) when having a jug that's not in the water. PVC schedule 40 does work well for bank poles also but I'm too cheap to spend the money on that when I can get "other" poles for free....well there's a little scouting and sweat for good ones. You can also leave the natural ones in the bank after your done fishing to use again another time. If you do this I recommened peeling the bark off any willow trees several feet up the base. I did catch some dang beavers trying to make a meal out of my bank pole one time.:lol:

5. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I thought hard about the natural route, but I once I spend the time rigging them the way I want (I'm so anal about stuff like that) I want them to be around for many years. I also like the idea that the I will be able to transport the fiberglass ones in less space with less weight.

Excellent idea about attaching the 2 liter "back-up" plan b :eek:oooh:

And Thanks Gator, a PM has been sent.

6. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Not sure where Gator lives in GA, but the last time I went to the Bass Pro Shops there, they had a good selection.

7. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I like SW of Savannah in a town called Ludowici. BP don't carry much in the line of rod building any more. They don't even carry blanks at all.

8. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

My local BassPro does not carry blanks, nor bank rods.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

9. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    To be honest I can't really remember that Bass Pro Shops. It has been a few years. I grew up going to Lowcountry Bait and Tackle, a local store in our small swampy town that carried fishing and hunting supplies, gas, bait, hardware and tools, food and drinks, sold boats, cars, goats, and had a fresh garden out back. Too bad there are not too many stores like that around any more. People hung out in there shootin the bull and talked about frog-gigin, crawdad holes, skinnin snakes, huntin boar, how to shoot pool, how to shoot a gun, how to fire a bow, how to throw a line, how to pick up chicks...everything a twelve-year old bot could ask for. I used to walk the 3 miles to that shop on a daily basis in the summer for upwards of 5 or 6 years. Childhood's great ain't it.

10. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Jim, When I was a kid we used big cane poles for bank poles. I don't remember exactly how long the were but I would guess 12-14 feet and they were probably an inch to an inch and a half diameter at the base. Daddy would always keep some tied up in bundles in the barn to season. We stuck them in the bank deep enough to hold smaller fish but loose enough a bigger fish could eventually pull them loose. I'll never forget the excitement when I got down to the pond or creek and saw poles bouncing and some being pulled around like a jug. The dried cane would float a nice size fish and it was a lot of fun chasing them around to see what ya caught. If you can't find fiberglass like you are wanting you might try the old cane pole. You should be able to find them growing in some bottom country and all it will cost you is a little time hunting for them. Let us know how it goes.

ST

11. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

what about thick walled pvc pipe?thats what i use and its tuff stuff

12. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Hey ya might try to keep your eye out for someone who grows that imported giant bamboo man those dudes are tough when seasoned and pretty big around...just might work:roll_eyes:

13. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Try Tombstone in Columbia missouri, they have exactly what you need.

14. TheMachine

TheMachine New Member

State:
    MO
    Buzzy's Liquor & Sporting Goods will hook you up. Ask for Doug...he's the owner. Their number is 636-528-4060.

15. 404redone

404redone New Member

State:
    illinois
    kencove farm fence buy 3/8 rod and shipping is alright price too
    [TABLE="width: 95%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2, align: left"]Customer Support
    Mon-Thurs 7:00am - 6:00pm (EST), Fri 7:00am - 5pm (EST)
    Saturday 8:00am - 12:00pm (PA warehouse only) google it and look at there products that is where i bought my last 1200 rods for bank poles and i have been very happy with them[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]