Need some expert advice!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by ooonnnery, Mar 16, 2006.

1. ooonnnery

ooonnnery New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma
    I have a 1964 , 18 horse Evinrude, it has been setting idle for approximately 8 years. I installed new plugs ( Champion J4C gapped ), It is recieving fuel, however, it does not start, backfired once or twice. I was wondering if the fly wheel needs to be pulled and be lightly sanded inside where it revolves around the magnets? Second question, is the nut on top of the fly wheel a Right handed or Left Handed. The motor is a pull start, I removed the electric start and put it on a 25 horse Johnson. I did check to see if I was getting a arch from the two plugs, which I was. Anyone that can offer me some advice, I would deeply appreciate any and all assistance from my BOC brothers.
    Bob

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That big nut you are speaking of is like and normal nut it screws off counter clockwise.
    I would pull the plugs and squirt some tcw-3 oil in the cylinders before attempting to start her.

You can take some fuel mix and spray into the carb and see if she will fire.
    I will be honest with you here. You might as well go ahead and soak and clean and rebuild those carbs and install a new water pump

I would go for the J6C plug because it is a little hottor then the 4.

I wrot a good article on bringing and old outboard alive it is in bobpauls section if you want to review it. Its even got the carb setting procedure in it.

BTW that engine runs on a 50:1 mix

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
  4. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    When you pull that flywheel, do not use a "claw" type puller. The flywheel has (3?) threads tapped into it. Use 'em. You'll probably have to buy bolts for your puller because they rarely include the proper size. Buy grade 8 bolts. Trust me, I've checked. Also, the flywheel will probably be stuck good. DO NOT HIT THE STUD WITH A HAMMER! This could very easily damage the crank bearings.

When that flywheel lets go, it will make a loud pop. Don't worry. You didn't break anything.

Make sure you torque the flywheel back down to the proper ft/lbs. I hold the flywheel with my left hand and torque with my right. Your's should torque down to 40-45 ft/lbs.

5. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    do you have your plug wires switched ? i did that once, it just popped.

6. ooonnnery

ooonnnery New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma
    I thank one and all for their help, will let you know the results of my labor.

7. Snobal

Snobal New Member

State:
    Canton, OH
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong.... If the flywheel wasn't making good contact, wouldn't that be a "NO SPARK" problem with the motor? Hate to see someone pull a flywheel if they don't have to.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If it has a kill switch I would disconnect it first to make sure its not grounding out.
    aia reread the first post and from the backfireing it could mean that the fly wheel key is sheared or half sheared and throwing it out of time but with it sitting for 8 years I would venture to say that the condensers under the fly wheel is bad.

9. ooonnnery

ooonnnery New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma
    I thank you for your advice, Luckly I have a friend of a friend that is a boat motor mechanic, he called tonight and said he would come over and solve the problem for me. Another piece of luck is, that he works for Boat motor repair shop and is going to do this on the side for a fraction of the labor cost.
    ( needing some extra cash he said )