Need some big river advice !!!!!!!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by claycntyjoe, May 10, 2006.

1. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    Alright guys and gals I need some advice on this spot in the Ohio River.

I bank fish only (just don't like fishing from a boat). This is a spot I was turned onto recently. It looks very promising, I went down last night to check it out. Caught about 20 4" shad on my first throw into the creek. You can wade to the island easy enough. The barge has alot of trees hung up where it dips into the water. the current is moderate on the up river side of the barge.

My question is where would you fish this spot.

ohio 2.JPG

Sorry can't make the picture any bigger

2. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Personally i'd fish these first....

best guess

3. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    That area at the end of the barge looks best to me for Flatheads and Blues. Probably need to fish it right at dawn and dusk ?

I was thinking of getting a slip float out in the current during the day and work that drop off down river of the island also.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I agree, try that barge area first, then try the down current side of the island off that point from the creek mouth.

5. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I'd start on that down stream side at the mouth where it dumps in. Then about dusk I'd trot, wobble, down just in front of that barge. Any time after dark I'd fish close behind the barge. I would fish that part from even with the barge to 10-15ft. out. Looks like a fine spot bank or boat. I hope it's not far to your vehicle, don't want anyone getting hurt dragging a bunch of fish.
    Don

6. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    id say the mouth where the crick dumps into the River, the is usually a real nice drop off there, and i have caught a lot of nice catfish at the mouths of tributaries

7. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Wow, that looks like a great bank spot!
    I would think that differant places would be in order at differant times.

Day time, I would fish the scour hole.
    The barge looks like an all around good location.
    After a rain, the mouth of the creek would probabley be best.

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    that looks like a very promising spot... i'd toss just off the back point of the island and also back at the barge maybe a little infront of it... How far out is the island? and how deep is the river... that will also give you a good indication of where to fish... if you find shallow next to deep(which right on the down stream side of the island, both sides should have deeper water and the island should have a sand bar on both sides possibly just the whole down stream side for a little while)...

9. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    Checked a topo of that stretch Bryan and it looks like the river should be in the 15-20 foot range on a gradual slope, the main channel is 2/3 thirds of the way across at 34ft. Above the barge is 3-6 ft mudflat with light river current, below the barge and the island is the same, mudflat out about 100 ft to the drop off, it seems to run for at least a mile downstream it ends at a barge storage area. the mouth of the creek is only knee deep out to the island at its deepest point. The island itself is more of a sand/gravel bar maybe 50' L X 15' W. the mudflats have alot of single bigger size trees sunk in the mud except the mudflat between the barge and the island it has almost no current at all and seemed very clean. The barge kicks all of the flow out into the river there.

Thanks everybody for your advice. Now does anybody know how to make it stop raining. LOL

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    This is how I would fish this spot.......