Need some bank space

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Jim6470, May 23, 2006.

1. Jim6470

Jim6470 New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey all, I would like to know if anyone has who knows any place where I can bank fish anywhere in NC near winston salem, i can drive about an hour or so. I fish for anything, but I'd like some decent cats. Thanks James

2. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I would try a local tackle shop and ask whoever is hanging around or working there. Or you can come west on I-40 about an hour to Catawba, and fish Lookout Shoals lake or upper Lake Norman. Lookout is about 5 min from Catawba exit, Norman about 15 min. I can provide detailed directions if your interested.

3. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Have You Ever Fished High Rock Lake? Or Yakin River?

4. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    You might try using Google Earth(it's free) it's a satellite image map system with integrated road maps and some other neat features - like looking up stores or directions.

The quality varies from place to place - I can see a car in my driveway for example. But out at my moms place I can barely see her street.

You can use it to look around for bodies of water and see what roads go near them. I found some sweet fishing holes near me using google earth.

If you use it - theres a really useful tool - click on "tools" up top and click on measure.

You can measure distances in all kinds of measurements. From centimeters to feet to miles. Helped me plan my trip knowing exactly how far I had to walk and in which directions. I measured my house with it and it worked to within about a foot so it's very accurate!

I took a quick glance around winston-salem NC with it. Theres a small river to the west - it's about 200-250 feet wide in most spots. It curves around to down south of winston to make a pretty big lake with lots of coves - that's probably your best bet there.
    Looks about 7 miles long and shaped like a christmas tree with all the coves.

There's also another big lake about 20 miles north-east.

Hope that helps!

~
    Brian

5. Jim6470

Jim6470 New Member

State:
    NC
    I'll have to look into going out west in the near future. I've been dying to set up for the night on some lake. With out a boat around here your out of luck. AS for the Yadkin and High Rock, I've fished them both I liked high rock, but I fished private land and don't know the guy anymore. THe Yadkin I've tried with out any luck. I've heard about a great sopt, but I'm not hiking several miles to get to it.

6. Jim6470

Jim6470 New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks for your input Brian, I just started using globexplorer.com and looked around alot and found some nice looking ponds around, but most are privately owned. As for the river, that should be the Yadkin River, and there are only 2-3 public access points that I know of. The Lake south of my Is High Rock, with a unproductive public fishing hole right below the Dam. THe lake east of me is Belews Creek lake, but Bank fishing is off limits now. BUt I'll give this other site a try. THanks again. James