need some answers about braided fishing line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by TITANSFAN2104, Jun 1, 2009.

1. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    ok i put about 200 yds of 50lb spider wire i had on my abu 6500c3. put the line in water and held the line tight while i reeled it. ok heres the deal - i go in the yard to see just how far i can cast it with my 9 ft rod and i really give it a sling and POW the line snaps no backlash or anything just breaks !! i found the hook and one ounce sinker and about 40 yds of line. what would cause this ?? any ideas because i was wannting to go the power pro route but was gonna see how braid did on my Baitcasters first! but now im kinda ddiscouraged and not sure about the braids!! and i did have about 1/4 spool of 40 lb test as backing! thanks in advance for aany advice!! :roll_eyes:

2. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    A 9 foot pole gives you A LOT of casting power, especially if you have muscle to put behind it. What I would do is: run a leader that was ~15 feet long of some 80+ lb line. That should take care of it...I hope. I have almost the same problem with my 8' Ugly Stick except my swivels bust apart.

OR, cast different...try swinging the pole like a baseball bat to cast. Just give it an upwards flick at the very end before you let the line go, that might help too.

Causes...in my head what makes sense is the line tears like a phone book. When you are casting, the line gets bent around the tip of the pole at an angle that makes the inside of the bend smaller than the outside of the bend. When that happens you end up with only a couple fibers supporting the whole weight of the cast. When those ones break, the next one break and so on. Just like ripping a phone book in half. Swinging like a baseball bat should help to keep your line straight and distribute the weight across all the fibers evenly.

Hope that helps and GOOD LUCK!! :smile2:

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My advise would be to use mono, thats just me I hate braid

I can use 20-lb mono on my 6500c3..along with a 12 foot rod and 8 ounce sinker, and I really cast it hard..never had a problem

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would check your rod eyes. You may have one worn to the point where it could have cut the braid during the cast. I really can't imagine why it would break like that. I use #65 Power Pro on my 6500 and 7000 and have never had a problem. I would not give up on it yet. Good luck.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Check your rod tip and see if the guide has a groove or rough spot.The line breaking 40 yards out doesnt make sense unless it snagged momentarily on a guide.Braid will snap anytime it is bent around a 90 deg angle.I use 80lb on 7ft rods with large baits and weights and have no problems .I have literally towed my 21ft CC upstream when snagged but if I bend that line around a 90dg angle and give a sharp jerk it will break clean.Use a gentler cast like JEEP recommends,trust me it will go a mile but check that top guide first.:big_smile:

6. channelin

channelin New Member

State:
    Baldwin City Kansas
    Like the other guys said I would check you eyelets. One of my older poles has developed grooves from running braid and I think could probably fray the line eventually. I run 50lb suffix and love it, It casts smooth and is very sensitive I would run nothing else just run a mono leader and you should be good to go!

7. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    spool end tension to tight.

8. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    i will check the guides but this is a fairly new rod only used a few times !! as for the spool tension- im sure its set rght- push the button and let the weight slowly fall?? or is that something else ?? THANKS. i really want to go thee PP but i dont want to have to worry aabout my line breaking!! maybe i didnt have it spooled tight eenough and it snagged on the line on the spool?? i fish at the dam and would like to be able to cast ourt past the gen. i can get there with mono and 4 oz but i want to try a lil rockfishing and need to get out to the boils and i figured a strong small dia. braid would fit the bill. im thinking about spooling up with PP and spooling it super tight and in water!! any more ideas?? im all ears.. and yes i really let loose when i cast !! do i need to tone it down a lil on my casts ??

9. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    you have a good start on trouble shooting your problem with all the answers you've gotton so far. Here's my 2 cents, i only use braid when i fish heavy cover bassin w/ a frog or jig good sensitivity and all back when you set the hook. thing about braid is you sacrifice stretch for strength. there is no give in braid as im sure you know, with your rod length and a hard cast: well u get the picture, especially if your line snags an eyelet. heres a formula [weight times rod size times veloccity, minus line stretch, plus eyelet snag= pop yo' line. somewhere in there lies the problem. some guys love that line for cats, i say nay for me. mono or hybrid line works great still strong without sacrificing stretch. like the brother mentioned in the post above bend it above 90 degrees it pops clean. hope u figure something out and get back in the game my brother, welcome to theBoc.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The hardest swing with a baseball bat or golf club doesnt necessarily result in the most distance.Try and cast up instead of firing out.Does your reel have a level wind?SOmetimes a little ball or knot of line coming off will snag the level wind and POP goes the weasal.I have seen this problem many times on piers here on the coast with folks trying to fire casts out to schools of bluefish or stripers.Long before braid came along I heard plenty of pops with mono trying to cast 4oz Hopkins lures.We would here the pop and everyone would say 'WOW fantastic cast ,to bad your line isnt still tied to the lure".:crazy:Ease up a little particularly with a baitcaster that revolves the spool.I use big spinning reels and never have a problem.:smile2::big_smile:

11. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Start over..:tounge_out: this time do a side arm cast & watch the line going through the guides....then do it again & watch it coming off the reel:big_smile: Then if you don't see any issues ..are ya sure your line wasn't rapped around the tip when you let-her-fly???:eek:oooh: braid will cast farther than mono with less effort remember that/ i switched over last year & glad i did:wink:

12. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    depending on how much weight your throwing you might need a "shock leader " like the long distance throwers do. Personally I've never seen that happen with P-Pro and possibly the line got wrapped or nicked. Let us know what helps ya solve this problem plz.

PS...try wetting the spool first and see it that helps get the stiffness out of it.

13. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    Its funny you say that because I swung a driver 110mph and can hit a softball 400 ft. Lol maybe I need to bac off my cast. It has slot of torque when cast hard. Yes my reels have levelwind. I'm thinking of trying again

14. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    I'm on my bb storm so forgive my spelling. U don't have pp on. Just spider wire to see if I like braid. I think its just me I will start over s

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    you might have catches or dig ends on the botem of your vspool i always check for that, i think thats your problem, your line catches and snapes wen it reaches the dig in ,

16. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Chad I personally dont like spiderwire. It works for some guys, but mostly I hear complaints about it. I use power pro 100 lb. on my river reels, and love it. Never had it break on me, unless I was snagged and I broke it. There is no stretch in braid, and maybe it dug in on your reel, thus when you went to cast it, it immediately stopped and the weight and the power of your cast wanted to keep going, causing it to snap. Ive seen that happen before also. When you spool your braid on, youll want to get it on there real tight, to avoid it being able to dig in. With the lower weight braids 20-50 lb that stuff it real thin and can dig in if not real tight. The 80 and 100 is thicker and is harder for it to dig in if its on there tight. I bet ya, if you try 80 or 100 lb. power pro or suffix braid, youll never have another problem, and youll be back here preaching how good it is. It is expensive but well worth it. It casts a mile, and you get instant hook sets. Good luck to you, I hope you find something that works for you. :big_smile:

17. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    Yep I agree with that as a cause too. I have a Shakespeare BC that had a spool with some cuts in it and was eating mono (the reel, not me). I "fixed" the cuts on the sides of the spool with some 800 grit sand paper and it's fine now.