Need some ammo...help!

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by CAT WHISPERER, Jan 13, 2006.

1. CAT WHISPERER

CAT WHISPERER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Looking for some sources on Blue cat biology. I have several pards who catch lots of 50+ lb blues while jug fishing the Missouri. Problem is they tend to keep big fish and return the small ones for "seed". I've tried to explain to each of them that this is reverse logic and they are actually hurting the fishery by keeping the spawners and returning immature cats.

I know a blue as well as flatties need to reach about 22" before they are mature enough to spawn but I have no idea how old a 22" fish is. Furthermore, I need to find out how old a 50 to 75lb blue is. If they knew they were keeping a 40 year old fish or whatever it might open some eyes.

These are all great guys but they do not realize what they are doing. I would like to find some literature online or otherwise to help educate these guys. Anybody know of a good source of Blue cat biology? I've done some searching and all I can come up with is some generic info. Looking for some hard numbers/facts for ammo!

CAT WHISPERER

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    A google search on college catfish thesis reports would help.

3. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Acording to " The Freshwater Angler Fishing For Catfish" a blue that is 22" long would be about 5 years old. A 10 year old blue would be about 34".

Hope that helps!

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    There are folks on both sides of this issue on this board and I am sure that they all will chime in sooner or later.
    If it helps you any I am on your side on this one!!!:)
    I don't see why you would want to kill something that has lived that long in the harshest invironment known to man.
    These creatures have survived: Hoopnets, Trotlines, Gillnets, Jugs, Pleasureboat Props, Towboat Props, Sportfishermen, Hazardous Spills(pollution) and the many preditors that were after them in there infantsy.
    Not to mention the fact that most cats over 10# are full of lead and mercury anyway.
    Who am I to kill it.
    These are my veiws on the subject that is all!!!

5. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey JW I have to agree with you on the reasons not to kill big fish. But the last reason to me is all that you need to know.

Any fish that gets over 5 to 10 lbs is full of any and all chemicals and posions that are in the river systems of the US. It is foolish for anyone to eat a big fish. It would be like running in front of traffic on a busy highway. You may get lucky for awhile and miss the cars. Eventually the mack truck will get you. Why increase your chances or you familys of having health problems. Exspecially your kids.

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Amen, Tim

That one is the one that scares me the most!!!

7. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    you better straighten them out right quick

big fish are the spawning fish

a big 50 pound female will have 10 times or more the amount of eggs that a first year spawning fish will have

you do the math .. if only 10% of fry survive i think i'd rather put the fish back that can lay 20,000 eggs as opposed to one that can only weigh 2,000

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Well I the state of missouri did a study on truman lake. They found out that a 19 or maybe it was a 18" fish was 8 years old. Now an 70+ pound fish was 13 years old give or take a few years that was caught on the missouri river. There spinal fins are like trees with growth rings but sense they are in like a ball and socket they kind of wear. But who knows really I heard all this at a sports show. Although at the same show I heard that Texas has came up with a way to age a fish dead on.

9. CAT WHISPERER

CAT WHISPERER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Crazy, I gotta believe a 70 lb fish is older than 13yrs!

CAT WHISPERER

10. CAT WHISPERER

CAT WHISPERER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    TANK.......I'm trying Dude but need ammo!

CAT WHISPERER

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    good luck to you wisperer, some folks just dont get it or care to.

12. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    In March of 2000, a California state record Blue cat weighing 101 lbs was caught in San Vicente lake. A state fisheries biologist said the Blue was stocked in 1985 and weighed 1 lb. It put on 100 lbs in 15 years. So a 70 lb blue in 13 years sounds entirely possible.
    Rat

13. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I believe that blues grow very large bery quick. They are eating machines and can really pack the weight on. I read a study somewhere on a study done at Santee Cooper and it said that a 50 lb. fish was between 9-12 yrs. old. i think that most of the little 2-5 lb. fish caught are probably last year's fish. A 50 lb. fish can eat a lot so I guess it could really pack on the weight. Just my 2 cents. later!!

14. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    The World Record Blue Cat Was 22yrs Old.:)

15. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I think that the weight to age will vary depending on the region you are fishing. If you are fishing a large river or lake with a lot of prey items they will probably grow bigger faster. I would think that a bigger fish would not only be able to produce more young than a smaller fish but would also be able to defend them from predators better. I definitely agree on the polutants issue. Most fish over 20-25+ inches are to contaminated to safely eat. This is especially true for big cats because they are the top predators and ingest all the other animals in their environment. The link has good information on flathead size and the amount of eggs they produce.http://www.stormpages.com/katchaser/reproduction.html

16. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i agree that the growth rate depends on area of the country and forage base.

good link jroc

17. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I am 60 years old.I have fished fresh and salt water,in several countrys,due to military service.I believe that the larger the fish,the more eggs they produce.I notice,because I like to eat many kinds of fish eggs.I prefer to eat the smaller fish,but any fish that I think will die,I try to use,for bait or eating,if legal.Yup,this means that I eat some VERY SMALL,and some very large fish at times.This is the way I was taught,and the way I taught my children.I also think that water temperture affects many types of fish,when it comes to size and age.The more days spent above feeding temperture,the larger the fish should be.For some fish,this temperture is 27 degrees under the Artic ice.Forage counts.I have seen fat fish and thin fish in the same area in different years.Things beside age do affect size.Please encourage every one to have the courage to do a better job,if we are to fish in the future.Much of the past is shameful,and I ain;t proud of it.I believe that the best thing that a man can leave behind when he dies,is a better man.Yall keep up the good work.thanks,peewee-williams

18. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Team Catter, You would think that a 70 pound fish would be older then 13 years. But I think it takes awhile for a fish to reach a certain size. Once they reach that size I leaves me to think that they start growing faster. Just like kids they start growing real fast at a certain age.

19. CAT WHISPERER

CAT WHISPERER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Found what I was looking for! Here is the link if anyone wants to learn more about blues. Lots of great info including some suprises. The most suprising thing to me was how far they will migrate up and down a river system in the spring and fall. There are also references to documentation of blues going over 300lbs. A long but very good read, IMO.......

http://www.fisheries.org/html/publications/catbooks/sympsample.pdf#search='missouri%20river%20blue%20catfish'

CAT WHISPERER

20. CAT WHISPERER

CAT WHISPERER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ooopps, Try this.

http://www.fisheries.org/html/publications/catbooks/sympsample.pdf#search='missouri%20river%20blue%20catfish'

CAT WHISPERER