Need Some advice

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by billNpam, Dec 15, 2009.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have used one establishment for all my vehicals repairs and maintenance for about 5 years. I have always had friendly service and came to know most of the people on first name basis. Yesterday I went in for a nail in my tire and they completed a couristy check and said I need a tag light replaced and I said I would change it. (was not going to pay 14.00 to get a light changed). Went home last night and was going to change it but come to find out that it worked. Prior to this I went in for a front end alignment and they said I need some ball joints replaced before they could do it. At that time I did not have the funds to complete the repair. About 6 months went by and I had the truck in for a oil change and he said he would check my front end alignment for me. I did not tell them about what was said last time. The guy aligned it no problem and said everything looked great. So to me it seems like that they are trying to hose me. And I would bet I am not the only one. What would you do. let it go and just find another place to take your vehical or raise a stink.

2. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i would raise so much stink your eyes would water.no telling how much they've taken you for over the last 5 yrs.did you confront them?or atleast ask to speak to the owner?its time to raise that stink!!!:angry::angry::angry:

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Go in there and ask them to shake down the front end for ya again and see what they say this time. Then.....ask them why are they full of Chit.

If it needed ball joints and front end work your front tires would be worn on the inside or outside....basically worn unevenly ; )

I would also pick who you want to work on it....someone you know who wont screw ya at that shop.

Is it one certain mechanic that keeps doing this or all of them working there ?

Tell one of them boys to treat ya right and you will take them fishin ; )

4. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I would bet it is not only me but many others

5. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Well the tires I have on the truck has 40 thousand miles on them and still have tread left and are wearing very evenly. And as far as one person it is a national reconized facuality so who ever comes available first is the one who works on it.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'd be willing to bet those boys work on commision,the more the CO makes the more they make. Sad .

7. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    I would definitely quit using them, I would also let them know why I was through using them. I would also share my experiences with anyone who asked about the place. I don't think I would raise Cain about it; I don't think that would be the right thing for me to do, but if you wanna do that, I won't condemn ya for it.

This sounds a lot like our mechanic situation. The owner of the place, who is also a mechanic, told us himself that the serpentine belt was worn out, and that it would be over $60 for just the belt. Well, we called the part store that they told us they used, and that exact same belt is about $15. Even worse, everyone else has told us there is nothing wrong with that belt. Same place told us that my sister's car she had just gotten needed new struts and new brakes for around $1000. Someone else replaced the brakes and some other things (not the struts) for a lot less. Some guy also is always trying to talk us into buying new tires. The awful thing is, this guy is always talking about the Bible and his church; maybe he just talks the talk. Needless to say, none of us will ever again darken his door.

Why is it so hard to find a good, honest mechanic these days? We have to go to friends who don't even work as mechanics to get things done.

8. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    It can be nationally reconized and still be independently owned.some one could be like a franchize owner.don't know if i worded that right.

but its either someone tryin to get over on you or someones incompitant.sounds like someone tryin to get over on you my guess,because anyone that can work on cars can tell if ball joints and such are worn out.

9. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    both good points. nickle and dime could really add up over 5 years..

i took my truck in for front end aligenmemnt,,and they told me i needed new tie rod ends,,,
    funny thing is i just replaced every thing from the pitman arm out and had it close enough to drive there an hour after replacing everything ,, his manager wasn't very happy with him,,when i talked to him and he took a look under the truck himself. my receipts even had the same date.

course it was close to christmas time when it happend,

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    If your raise hell with upper management you may end up with some free oil changes.

If management does nothing I would certainly never go there again.

Go talk to them.......cause it will bug ya if ya don't ; )

11. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Bill, since it is a nationally recognized chain, you might get a little more milage (pardon the pun!) if you contacted the head office. That got good results for me with a nationwide department store (not Wally World). Sometimes a well-directed e-mail or letter can do a lot of good. Hope it works out for you. Let us know how it goes.

12. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    i agree with all the above...i would have to say something.....:angry:

13. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    raise a good stink and then find a new place to take your car...

14. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    buy stocks when they are low, and sell them where they are high:wink:

all kidding aside, tailights, especially on vehicles that farmers, ranchers, and fishermen drive can have bad connections and work intermittently...he could be as honest as the day is long. just check your lights frequently and make sure you don't have a ground or power feed problem.

15. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I don't want to make small of this deal because I don't like it either.
    First, nine out of ten times, the incompitant mechanic just didn't want to be bothered with the job in the first place and figured you'd opt out on the job.
    Then there's the over-all stupidity of the general public when it comes to auto repairs. Especially in these days of hi-tech computerized unnecessary government mandated CRAP. This allows much more of the "Sell this sucker SOMETHING" attitude of nearly every joint you walk in to anymore. Pity old women and anyone over age 40. Then too there's the guy that really don't have time to worry about mechanical things. "Just fix the damn thing so I can get on with my business." Man they ream those folks good.
    But then .... THINK about it........It's their JOB to sell you anything they can. It's how they make thier living. SOME do it perfectly honest, but many are forced these days to resort to things a little less honest.
    It goes back to the old "Buyer Beware" Thing. We ALL have to stay on our toes these days about EVERYTHING or we'll be getting the old "green weenie" right up the old wazoo every time we step out the door.
    Once you've been "HAD", it ain't always easy to do much about it and even less likely to get any satisfaction, unless of course you have very good legal grounds to get even.
    That's WHY.....I do ALL my own mechanical work even if it means buying all the available literature to perform the task. But even now, I'm getting to old and fed up with this crap to keep it up. SOoooo I trained my oldest kid to do it for me. ........and sometimes I still wonder about HIM.

16. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    bring your concerns to someone you trust there.you are a long time customer, someone will recognize you as such , if they don't give you satisfaction, look for a new place to take your business. i'll bet they step up to the plate to take care of you and always look for a second opinion ! don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see !

17. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i'd have to say something about the front end that fixed itself since the last time there, in todays economy alot of shops are just lookin for extra work to keep them going, most times when the mechanic tells ya something needs fixin most people just say " take care of it" and never take it for a second opinion. i seen a few specials on 20/20 where garages were takin their customers for a ride. some of those oil lube chains where caught using the old oil and old oil filter insted of replacing it with new stuff. now a days ya just never know:confused2:

18. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    That's one reason I don't particularly care for national chains... They're in it for commission, and most of the employees aren't true mechanics... They're what I call Parts Changers. Anyone can be a parts changer, but it takes someone with years of experience to be a mechanic.

I bought some tires for my pickup a couple of years ago and one of those discount national chain places. I only went there because it was the better deal. I overheard the store manager talking on the phone with someone. He was asking the other person if he could help change his oil. Then he hung up and told a customer that he knew nothing about changing oil, but could do a brake job.

A good mechanic is going to most likely have never been to a trade school to become a mechanic. He's not going to be licensed, and he's definitely not going to operate a franchise. He's going to have a business, probably in the same location, that has been around for years and most likely he started there with his dad or grandfather.

I'd take the experience as lessons learned and go find someone that knows what he is doing. Or if you're ever unsure about their diagnosis, take it in for a second opinion

19. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    i would have to say something

20. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I gotta agree with all the above. Some mechanics try hard and make mistakes also. Some figure a part is worn and might as well change it now as later. Some want to save ya some headache later, and some are crooks. I'd talk to the owner, perhaps the guy who made a recommendation is not as honest as the others. I know a guy who does that sort of thing.

I took an old vehicle in to get a trans rebuilt, good job, good price, but the next vehicle I took in I got wrong spark plugs. I buy my tires at the same place all the time, I take my vehicle to the dealer, to make sure I got the right stuff, and also get a good warranty on what they do. One place I know the service manager, and I bring it in and say check it out, fix it and call me when its done. He always calls on the estimate. I know he gets paid on parts he sells, but he usually gives advice to save me money. The last time he showed me all the fluids and explained everything.

Its hard to find honest folks nowdays, if they mostly do a good job and its just one guy who ain't honest its worth it to the owner to let him know, I'm sure he wont' be happy with someone runnin down his integrity. Another thing ya can do is when ya get a recommendation for questionable work, make an appt for next week, then take it to another place and have em check it out. If the recommendation was bogus you can skip the appt, and when they call ya, let em know why. Let the owner then check the situation and determine what he gonna do to the employee.