Need some advice!

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by JustinM, Sep 8, 2009.

1. JustinM

JustinM New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just got a 17.5' bass tracker. Do you think it would be okay on the Ohio around Newburgh dam? And if so what would be the highest river level? I love stripers and cats so I thought I'd ask. Thanks in advance.

2. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Welcome to the BOC Justin! I think the Bass tracker would be fine. As to river levels, my opinion is that if the rivers smokin' and you don't feel safe, don't go out. Hope you get on some good cats and stripers, and don't forget the walleye! Be safe and good fishin'.

3. JustinM

JustinM New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've been wondering if everything has moved up to the dams yet.

4. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    you'll be just fine with that tracker one thing i dont' ever do is achor close to any turbulant water around any damn on the ohio and whenever you do ancher on any point of the river always have a knife handy to cut the rope

if im not mistaken thats what got them boys up in cannelton awhile back there achor got caught and flipped the boat up by the gates

welcome to the boc!!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  5. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC, Keep it safe!

6. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    not quite justin but i hear there are a few fish moving up there. im like you i love cats and stripers... caught some dandys around here i might be over at newburgh this weekend if i dont go hunting.

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Justin,
    Your boat will be fine if you follow the basic precautions.
    When you say "around Newburgh Dam" do you mean in that general area or right up in the boils as far as you are legally allowed?
    If you are talking about up close keep your motor running all the time and be sure it is tuned up so it will start first time, every time.
    Always be aware of your position; once inside the no-go area the back flow can pull you into the gates and before you know it you will be too close. Take a buddy with you who can also handle the boat and take turns to fish while the other stays at the controls. ALWAYS wear your lifejacket.
    Please don't become a statistic. Good luck...W

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  8. newburghcatfish

newburghcatfish New Member

State:
    Newburgh Indiana
    I have a 16' deep V with a 50hp motor and it does fine at newburgh. Not many bites this past weekend for catfish even though I did have a big one get off.

9. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
  10. JustinM

JustinM New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah. Motor fires everytime and plenty big enough. Thanks for all the advice.

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Welcome to the BOC Justin! I think the Bass tracker would be fine. If you don't feel safe then stay in water you do feel safe in .

12. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Yes, your boat will work just fine. I have a 16ft tracker with a 25 hp merc on it that I have had on the ohio several times. I have fished at Madision and down around the canneltoln area several times with no problems. The boc brothers are right though, make sure your motor run and fires good every time. Also due some reaserch here on the boc about anchoring techniques it could save your life. I have had my boat out there when the water was on the rise and somewhat swift current. Keep the lifejackets handy and close if you dont wear them. If you dont feel safe dont go out. Good luck and be safe.

13. Critter Getter

Critter Getter New Member

State:
    Elnora, Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Justin!

It sounds like your questions been answered pretty good but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyhow :wink: I have a 17.5 ft tracker with a 40 horse Merc on it and about the only water its on anymore is the ohio. Done a bunch of striper fishing at cannelton with it and it does just fine below the dam, just make sure you pay attention to what your doing and be smart and you won't have any problems. Like what everyone else has said, it your not comfortable with the situation, don't do it.