Need some advice re: boat purchase

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by tmramrod91, Feb 18, 2009.

1. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I'm looking at getting my first boat this spring, and came across one that interests me. However, being new to the boating world I would like some others opinion on the motor, as this is the most expensive to repair.

The boat has a 40 hp Mercury ELPTO that is a 2003. I believe the motor has somewhere btw 150-200 hrs on it. It looks to be in good shape, but I havent had an opportunity to really look at it.

Anyone have good/bad experiences with this type of motor? Specific things to look for while i'm inspecting it?

Thanks for any input.

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    If it were me I would want to do a compression and spark check right off the bat. Also a good idea to pull the lower unit drain plug and inspect the oil, make sure its in good shape and not real milky in color. If he can start the motor for you on muffs or in the water thats even better.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Doa spark and compression test. Take it to the water do a run test and take it at least a mile or two up the river or across the lake. If the owner doesn't want to run the boat then don't buy it. Muffs in the yard will only tell you it will start. The most famous words you will hear is that it ran good last time out.
    With that said take it to the water and run the heec out of it. I never pay market price for a boat that hasn't been tested because you sure as heck aren't going to get a warranty with it.

4. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bubbakat is right on. You have to get the temp up on the motor to see how will it runs. Had one that ran on the muffs and ran well as long as it was a short run,but on a long run it would suddenly go from wide open to nothing, $180.00 latter it ran fine,new water pump was all it took. Guess who had to pay for it?