need some advice on nightcrawlers/ farms

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by achezmn, May 8, 2008.

1. achezmn

achezmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just started to collect my own worms, since they get expensive after awhile, and I need some advice.

I would like some advice on what to do to keep them alive and how to keep them growing. Quite a few of the worms are on the small side, so I would like some advice on what I can do to make them grow.

Thank you for any advice.

2. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been keeping worms for the last 3 years year round. I keep them in a old refrig in my shop,in worm bedding that I change out ever 6 months. I usually sprinkle old taco or corn chips that we usually have laying around. MYy brother can't beleive how big and lively they get.

3. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    hey alan, i dont know nothing about raising worms, but if u check out the members library i'm sure they have alot of good advice. good luck

4. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I only seem to be good at finding the worms not keeping them alive. I don't pick up the smaller ones. I can tell you that 500 plus big ones dont do too well in the small worm farm. The frig would probably help. I have a bait freezer but no frig. Check on them frequently and pull out any sick or dead ones.

5. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I only seem to be good at finding the worms not keeping them alive. I don't pick up the smaller ones. I can tell you that 500 plus big ones dont do too well in the small worm farm. The frig would probably help. I have a bait freezer but no frig. Check on them frequently and pull out any sick or dead ones.

6. Tim70

Tim70 New Member

State:
    Maplewood, Missouri
    At my old house before I moved I had built a compost bin out of some scrap 4x4's and old 1x6 fence boards spaced out so air could get in. I put some straw in the bottom and used to throw leaves and old grass clippings in there. I discovered by accident that this was a great worm farm. Just turn over a few shovel fulls and had enough worms for the whole family to fish all day long. They were big and lively. I got to build another one of those for the new house.

7. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    What type of container do ya'll use for keeping them in large quantities in the fridge? When I need nightcrawlers, I go out to the garden after dark and get about 50 of them in 20 minutes or so. I'd love to have them on hand though, that would be great.

8. whisker_chaser

whisker_chaser New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I went to school in Costa Rica a number of years back. We had a worm farm there. It consisted of several concrete bins in a covered building. We would get manure from the dairy farm and fill the bins with it from time to time. Then they would sell the worms to farmers in the area. There were millions of them in those bins. I am in the process of experimenting with cultivating nightcrawlers myself. I took a 300 gallon tank and put it in a shed and filled it with manure. I am going to add a little water ,maybe 3 gallons a week. I dont want to add too much water to keep it from molding. They eat the manure and its free. I think my little hillbilly setup will work great. I put 96 big crawlers in there. Hopefully they are busy eating and breeding as we speak. I will let you know of my results.

9. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

We always used those flip over worm boxes with a 'top' on each side, you can keep several of them in there, or if you got room about any Styrofoam cooler will work (with a lid so they don't get out)...keep 'em cool and fed and you'll be good...they like coffee grounds too...

10. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio

Thanks Moe's head.

11. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I have one of those styrafoam worm farms from kmart but any old styrafoam cooler will work. I keep them in my basement cause it's cool.

12. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    How cool do you have to keep this?

13. achezmn

achezmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    thanks for all of the advice, I think my neighbor is throwing out some large Styrofoam coolers, so I'm going to steal a couple of those.

I think tonight I'm going to get some worms, it is has been raining a ton.

14. westman407

westman407 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    why not consider starting or using a compost pile, that is what I do. Then continue to buy some worms for a while and after you done fishing throw them in the compost pile and turn it. After a while you will have a lot of worms breeding in there and great soil too. another alternative is just heap a pile of free mulch (utility companies a lot of times) and worms will begin showing on the bottom of that.

15. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    old rotten hay bales work good to.just put out 3 or 4 and next year put out 3 or 4 more and harvest the ones from the year before

16. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

however cool your fridge is, as long as they dont freeze.

17. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    45 degrees or cooler just not below 39