Need some advice on new rods!!!

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by buzz crackstock, May 1, 2006.

1. buzz crackstock

buzz crackstock New Member

State:
    Springfield, IL
    I need two rods, around 7 ft, med/heavy or so, will use them from a boat, sometimes the bank, 30 lb berkley big game, 2-8 oz weight, usually a carolina rig with cut shad or live gills, will be fishing for cats in the 10-50+ range, (the key word here is "fishing") and prefer a white blank. Will be putting okuma 202 level winds on them. Looking to spend around $50 each.

2. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    well..what i use is the 7' catfish ugly stik...and love it! it's only $30...great rod for the money...

3. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I would suggest a 7' ugly stik tiger, in a MH action. It is rated for fish in the 30-60 pound range and for fishing weight of 3/4-8oz. I also like the action in the tip better than regular ugly stiks, especially if you use circle hooks. The tip is much more 'flexible' than regular ugly sticks. This allows, at least in my experience, the rod to load up much better. These rods were used for fishing for tuna because of how tuna hit hard and i like the comparisions with catfish. good luck!

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Look at the Penn Slammers.They are exactly as you describe,white, 7ft med/heavy and will handle the weights you want.Most I have paid for one is 59$.They come in casting and spinning models also.I currently have 14 of them in use and they also come in 2 piece models.:smile2:

5. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I also own a slammer which is made for Tuna and can definetly handle a good size fish. Myself I prefer a longer rod even when in a boat but for what your looking for the penn is hight quality. Their reels are decent too.

6. buzz crackstock

buzz crackstock New Member

State:
    Springfield, IL
    thanks guys, I've been looking at the tiger ugly sticks and have heard a lot of good things about them. Haven't looked into the penn slammers though, I have a bass pro saltwater catalog, they might be in there, might also check out e-bay. The color of the tigers isn't white but it is better than black. How do they show up at night. I usually fish around a little light but can put some reflective tape on the top half of the rod if they don't show up too good.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Go to Cabelas website and look under saltwater rods,or order the saltwater catalog.I tried tape etc but you just cant beat white and these are very good rods for the money.:smile2:

8. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have 3 7'MH ugly stik catfish rods. 2 spinning and one trigger. they have never let me down no matter what i put them through be it circle hooks from the bank or horsing flatheads out of timber. IMO for the money there is nothing better