need some advice on fishing below damns

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by docs, May 7, 2009.

1. docs

docs New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Was wondering if anyone could give me some good ideas on hooking up with some big cats below damns. A friend has been bugging me lately on fishing Payneway damn on the St. Francis. ive fished rivers and lakes for years and only have tried below the damn a couple of times and bombed each time. With only mosquitos bites to show for it! Ive seen guys catching shad for bait there. Is that the best? Im mainly a trot line and stink bait and liver type fisherman. So any help would be great!

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Jeff welcome to the BOC from wilm.nc. i don,t know anything about your area but there is a lot of info here check library;also other can help u

3. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I fish mainly the AR. river dams and have good luck there I do not know the conditions there but i will try my best to lead you in the right way. do you have a wall that comes out of the dam close to the bank? if so that is where your shad and skipjack will be or the closest heavy currant use a daiichi (6 small jigs ) lightly weighted and thraw into heavy currant the best bait to catch is SKIPJACK if no bites switch to a small black and green jig or white ( smaller the better).if shad is the only bait fish thraw a net.ok we have bait need large rod with good real and heavy line 50lb or abave thraw into main heavy currant with 8onc to 16onc lead and wait for the rod to bounce or pop back very hard currant will move your rod slowly back and forth ignor that movement or it will drive you crazy remember hard bounce orn pull way down and snap back. hope this will help good luck!!!!

4. docs

docs New Member

State:
    arkansas
    ok skipjack or shad. whats the best dead or alive?

5. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    If you can keep them alive thats the way to go if not they still work pretty well.

6. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    you want keep them alive use the shad hole and skip us as cut bait the gutter and the blooder the better. also thraw the head on a hook works good too, just remember use a circle hook 7to8 g.or larger.if there is any flatheads or big blues around you can use live breams works good too.:big_smile:

7. docs

docs New Member

State:
    arkansas
    appreciate everyones help. had a brain storm the other night about using that much lead. and how exspensive it would be. was thinking of using a plastic easter egg and cutting the top, filling it with quickcrete and putting a swivle in and waiting til it dried and the popping it out of the egg, and using it for weight. im sure it would be much cheaper that lead. think a 80# bag is $4. gonna try it will let u guys know if it works.:confused2:

8. docs

docs New Member

State:
    arkansas
    never used a circle hook. are they really as good as they are suppose to be?

9. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thats all I use, you do not set the hook just wait for the big jurking mosion and tightin the slack she will come to the bank or brake the fishing line one of the two!!!

10. docs

docs New Member

State:
    arkansas
    using 8 to 16oz weight. and 50# test line. what size rod are you using? and is there a good place to get rods that size on a budget?

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i get my rods from a to z tackel in alma arkansas.i buy the 12 foot heavy and cut it back to 11 foot.you can buy the blank for 38 dollars and the eyes for the rod are 15 dollars.i dont but the reel seat as i tie my reels on with heavy braded nylon.total cost, if you wrap your own eyes, is 53 dollars and thats for a one piece rod.

12. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Hatchet Jacks in Little Rock has good deals on rods. Not sure of the price. Also Academy sports has 12 foot rods for around 40. You can get a Tidewater 30L at Wal-mart for around 30.00 also.

13. docs

docs New Member

State:
    arkansas
    i wish the walmart here carried rods that big. I bought the biggest thing they had last week for my son, and it was 6 1/2 foot.