Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Need some advice for the Cape

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  gmenor 
#1 ·
We have been fishing different parts of the Cape this year. He have fished Lillington and up river at Pearson street and only caught a 5lb blue. Just wanted to ask what we are doing wrong not to really catch anything beaides that. We have used chicken liver, cut bream, live bream and minnows. Any advice will be welcomed.

#4 ·
The river is very shallow around lillington. I put in at Howard's bbq. It does cost $5 to use the ramp and it is steep but you can go up river a pretty good stretch before you hit the rocks. Can't go down river to far before you hit a rock shoal across the entire river. Go up river a good ways then drift back back down using the current with slip bobbers set about 2' deep. If you go far enough up it will take a pretty good while to drift back to the ramp during normal conditions. Drift down one side then go back up river and drift back down the other side. You'll should find a few. Unfortunately the kayak place now controls the gate at the ramp and it is only open from daylight till dark.

#5 ·
Just gotta keep trying, its a large stretch of river. They are there just gotta find them and put the bait in front of them. I never go to Cape fear without eel. The blues on that stretch love them. I've fished the river twice this year and caught a 30 lb blue first trip this year then last weekend in May caught another blue between 25 and 30lbs forgot to weight this blue in the excitment, and on same trip my buddy got his PB Flathead at 35 lbs. jmcleod hit the nail on the head....float fishing with bobbers is the way I do it but I usually anchor or find and good bank spot or snag and float my baits to the desired location. The spawn should be over with for most part so we going to be on the Cape Fear looking for a pig Saturday. Goodluck

#7 ·
I used to put in at the HWY 87 boat ramp and go down where Rock Fish Creek enters the Cape Fear River. That stretch of river along the eastern bank had always produce flatheads and blues, in the range of 10 - 20 lbs. I used large minnows and cut bait (live bait is better).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.