Need some advice for hard currents

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by GMC FishHauler, Jun 1, 2007.

1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i am about to go fishing in some areas that have some really hard (15mph) currents and was wanting some tips from the rivermen on this site.
    Anything special i need to look out for? Any tips on turning and ancoring in current?
    or anything else that ya'll might think i would need to know.
    Thanks in advance for the info guys

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    James,
    Obviously you are going to need a serious anchor and some serious weights. I have said this before but I will say it again DO NOT run a second anchor from the back of the boat, no matter how much it may be moving around. If the front anchor comes loose and the boat comes around such that the stern is facing upstream with an anchor on it that kind of current will most likely have you under before you know what is going on.
    I have to ask, why are you fishing in so much current? If it is because the river is in flood the amount of debris will be considerable. A big tree on your anchor rope with that much current could also be a serious problem.
    I don't want to be a pessimist but that much current would keep me off the river...W

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I doubt there's a river anywhere in the country with 15 mph currents. 5 mph maybe.

But anyway...

Anchoring in current is challenging. You need a good anchor, lots of anchor rope (at least 100 ft) and a big dose of common sense. Keep your motor idling in neutral until you're sure the anchor is going to hold - if it won't hold, you need to be able to control where the boat goes.

*Never* anchor from the stern of the boat - that's a quick recipe for disaster. The current will swamp your boat in a heartbeat.

Once you do get anchored, keep your "situational awareness" up so you will notice if the anchor starts to slip - depending on where you're anchored, coming undone could be a bad thing if you don't do something about it quick (such as above a wing dyke). Likewise, keep an eye out for any debris that might be coming downstream toward you -- a big log could run up on your anchor rope and drag the bow right down into the water if you're not careful.

Always keep a knife or two readily available just in case you need to cut the anchor rope in an emergency.

If you don't have one already, install a "quick release" cleat on the bow -- the kind where you zig-zag the rope in the cleat rather than tie it off.

Wear your life jacket at all times. You might be a good swimmer, but in fast current, you become pretty helpless. Imagine sitting anchored with 5 or 6 lines out the back of the boat and you fall over the side. You'll be swept into those lines faster than you can imagine, and then you've got a real problem. A life jacket might save your life.

Have fun and be careful.

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    well, the river is flooding and lake is totally in accessable because of high water. It is around 13-14mph depending on ancoring spot according to fish finder.
    debris was terrible and it was tough to go upstream (kept cavitating) but did catch around 2lb flathead. It was the only real bite of the evening though.
    I might have a design for an anchor that some folks would want. It held with no problems everywhere we put it down. I think it would hold a boat twice the size of mine.

5. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If the river is flooding I would be extra careful! Be careful of those tree's washing down, some of them are pretty big! Good luck though!!!

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The best thing about a flooding river is the fish are close to the bank. There is no need to get out into all that debris. Get in behind a natural obstruction like a wing dam, log jam, island, point, or better yet an inside bend with little current. The fish are not fighting that heavy current and neither should you.

7. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Hey man, just be careful out there. We don't want to hear about anything happening to anyone; especially a brother.