Need Skipjack?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by TNBigCat, Oct 3, 2007.

1. TNBigCat

TNBigCat New Member

State:
    TN
    The last couple of times I have been fishing I have pulled in absolutely nothing. I have gotten pretty frustrated about fishing. Everytime I go and come home with nothing I tell my wife I'm going to sell all of my stuff and give up. She talks me out of it and I wait a month or so before going back out again. Can anyone help me as to what I might be doing wrong?

I fish out of a boat and go down towards Lock C and Riverside Dr. Most of the time I use frozen skipjack which I thaw out before I go and cut it to about 1 inch chunks for bait. I usually fish off the bottom at about 30+ feet. I've tried worms and then I catch nothing but stupid drum. Any help anyone can give me will sure help out.

By the way, I am getting ready to deploy again for 2 months at the end of Oct and will be back the week before Christmas. I will have about a 3 week break at home before going to school and being gone for another 2 1/2 months. Since I will be gone for so long the wife is requesting that I get rid of some of the skip jack I have in the freezer. I have about 100 head and I'm willing to part with the majority of it. If any one is interested in taking some off my hands I'd be willing to help out. If so, please send me a message or something and we'll get in touch. I live in Clarksville for those interested. Happy Fishing!!!

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Make you up some jugs, bait them with skipjack, and float them down the river. Make a note of the spots where you catch fish, and go back there with rod & reel. Be sure to make a note of the depth they hit at, too. I often catch blues just a few feet below the surface, well above the bottom.

3. nightowl

nightowl New Member

State:
    Vicksburg,Mississippi

I agree with Jerry's idea, and this is how I started finding fish, Especialy when i'm in unfamiler water.
    The last time i went out, i went to a different strech of the MISSIPIE and between to dikes in a straight away of the river i dropped 15 jugs with lines ranging from 5 ft. to 15ft. I made one drift and picked up 2 blues. Both fish hit in the same place at the same depth. After picking up the juggs I anchored in the same spot and boated 5 blues ranging from 12 to 43 lbs.

The part that i so weird is that this strech is flat and the same depth with no current breaks but the fish seem to like this particular area. The area that the fish are holding in is half the size of a football field.

4. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I need skipjack bad to get kids fishing...have been unable to get any am in Clarksville also

5. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    as the way these guys are talking just try drift fishing that seams the only way that we are catching any fish here on the ohio river right nowi run three rods in rod holders drop them to the bottem an bring them up 3 turns off the bottem an turn the boat lose an let it go an watch your fish finder for trees an humps that u might get snaged up on hope this helps

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I will pay shipping if there is any you want to send on dry ice.

pm me if you wish.

7. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    I don't need any skipjack but thanks for the offer. I got like 60 or so vacumed sealed my self, i sent you a p.m check it out..

8. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks again Nick , when we got home and my daughter saw the skipjack she got excited and is ready to go fishing now lol...thanks again and have a safe deployment

9. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    Still have any of those skips? I'd like some!

10. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Sorry if this is a bit off-topic. Michael, why do you vacuum pack? Is it the freshness factor, or does it help maintain the consistency or what? I thought about doing that but that could get a bit expensive with the price of the bags. I've been freezing skipjack in ziplocks, but they seem to fall apart more then when they're frozen. I thought about freezing in water too.

11. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    Jon all i can say is yes yes yes yes vacuum seal is they way Togo i used to freeze them in zip locks my self and as you said they fall apart when thawed out. so i started vacuum sealing mine and now when i thaw them out the start flopping around again there so fresh :smile2:. what i do is i buy the cheap roll of value rolls they come in a 2 pack from wall-mart and only cost like $7 and they seem to work out well

12. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    michael I do the same thing.since we moved to cincinnati i had to do something to keep them fresh and thats the only way i could do it was to buy me a vacuum sealer .