Need Shad?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by ironcat, Oct 10, 2008.

1. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    If your looking to fill your freezer for the winter there are tons of shad at 10th and lynhurst at the spillway. I get alot of my shad there and I have never seen so many before. Literally 2 throws and I filled a 5 gallon bucket.

2. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Kyle and myself went down there earlier to get some shad to split up. You aren't kidding, there's a ton of them down there. He got some pictures so hopefully he'll post them.

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    how big are the shad your catching down there?

4. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Biggest shad I've ever seen, bout 10 inches to medium sized. Nothing really small.

5. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Is that near Indy?

6. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In

yes it is, just sent you a PM with directions

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Great tip, thanks for the good info

8. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Here's about 3 cast worth. They were quite a ways out and we were only hitting the edge of the schools. We should have put something next to them for length comparison.

Attached Files:

9. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    Man you have to walk out on the ledge and push them all down to the other end like your herding cattle then throw. If you throw a couple of times where the water is flowing you will get them but after that they will stay away from that area that is why I walk down the ledge and herd them up! If you have a partner you can really get'em. Any time it rains the next day they are there! Good place to get bait!

10. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    When you say the "ledge" do you mean right at the bottom of the falls? Or the wall the water is flowing over itself?

11. Flattiestalker

Flattiestalker New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey John, How come you didn't go down south with your brother?

Any word from Ben yet?

12. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    couldn't make this trip with him. were going back in a couple of weeks. I'll let him post what they caught.All I know is his adrealine has been pumping for a couple of days!

13. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    the ledge is what you saw them swimming on its only about a foot deep right now. You probably threw your cast net on it.

14. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Yeah that's what I thought. We were talking about trying that but didn't know how deep or slick it would be. They did all end up in a huge school on the other side by the time a few cast were made. And we actually waited a while between cast to give them time to regroup.

15. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    just got back from the spillway shad are thick. Go get u some and go catch a monster!

16. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Think I'll head that way in a minute...

17. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Bloody Hell!!!
    I'm stuck at work and it's 25 miles home to get my cast net anyway. Gonna have to start keeping it in the car for when I have to leave work suddenly because of a "migraine":wink::wink:..W

18. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    Yeah i hate when you leave your buddy at home? Taking my shad to cannelton hope to catch some blues?

19. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Catch a biggun...W

20. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    not sure if anyone is interested, i went back out to the spillway tonight for a few quick throws of the net.. the water is still up a little bit (probably 5 inches or so) and was too fast for my net.. i ended up tossing it about 15 yards past the dam in a little slower water.. 15 minutes i ended up with 13 shad, 4 good size chubs ( 12-14"), a wiper (i think) 14-15" 2 carp about 15", and not sure bout the other fish i caught.. looked like that "log perch" i caught before but this one was about 11" long and had sharp looking teeth, was green in color.. :eek:oooh:

hopefully tomorrow one of them shad or chubs looks tasty to a big ole kitty..:smile2:

Attached Files: