Need serious help - outboard motor

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by tehrealmccoy, May 27, 2008.

1. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    Hey guys,

I recently bought a Cruise N Carry 6600 off of eBay, knowing it didn't work. Having some mechanical background I quickly assessed that the problem was it wasn't getting spark. Turns out the spark plug wire was broken up within it's sheath so spark wasn't able to be transmitted properly. That leads me to having to replace the coil, which is impossible to find around here.

Does anyone have any guidance for where I could go about finding a new coil?

Thanks a ton!

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    What the devil is a cruise and carry? Has it got a common english name... LOL. If it is an outboard, try your local auto supply store. They have marine catalogs and can order most anything. If it is an old outboard, there are shops around which may have used parts on hand.

3. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    There are some cruise n carries. It's not your typical outboard, it's more of a weed eater on a drive system. I took it to my local lawn mower and small engine repair shop and they didn't have any coils like it.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Without knowing who makes that little motor it almost impossible to recommend parts for it.. I would venture to say that is why it was sold as is. I have never encountered one of those and I have seen several different kinds of motors in my life time. What I would suggest is remove the coil and take a couple pictures and post them and I might be able to suggest a replacement..
    If the wire is broke upinside why replace the coil, does the wire modl to the coil or is it removeable.

5. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    It's molded. The manufacture of the motor no longer exists, it was something like HMC (Hawaiin Motor Company?)

I will get photos in a little bit!

6. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
  7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Thanks Jim, but I knew what the motor looked like. I was needing to see what the coil looked like.

8. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    You might wish to "Google" Cruise & Carry". There are lots of sites to view...maybe one will help you.

One guy said he had parts. sanfordsgoodies.com

Bubba is still your best bet on finding one!

9. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    Hey all, I will get a photo as soon as I find my camera cable! Thanks for all the tips so far

10. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Hey, Willard...just a passing thought, but if the coil is OK, couldn't a person graft a new spark plug wire close to the coil?

Most of the spark plug wires I've messed with seem simple enough that it appears they could be soldered together.

Where am I going wrong??

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Bill it possible to graft a wire onto the other one and seal it good but I would look into takening it out at where its molded into the coil and replace the wire and remold the plastic back inplace with glass. You could use the same wire that they use on lawn mowers and that can be had at any lawn mower repair shop. I think its 7MM solid core wire.

12. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks, Bubbakat!

13. cod26

cod26 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    you may be able to find what you need at rapair.com i needed a coil for my 91 force and they had what i needed , maybe also try ishopmarine.com as well