Need serious help in ohio

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Montgomery, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    can anyone help me out. been fishing my whole life.die hard cat man. only one problem , i cant catch fish. in the river , ponds laks , pay lakes. it doesn't matter where. anyone in or around dayton ohio or vandalia ohio. i need serious help ...

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    There are alot of members on here from dayton area. I am about an hour and a half east of ya in a town called Ashville. I travel for a living though in Ohio and next time I head out your way I'll give ya a heads up, maybe we can wet a line.

Welcome to the BOC brother, nice talking to ya in chat.

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I didn't catch too many this year either. I spent alot of time in the B.O.C. Library and used alot of different riggin's till I found one that produced in my location! Hope this helps some!

4. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    What kind of equipment do you have,what are you using for bait?Oh yeah welcome to the B.O.C.

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Welcome to the BOC! You have reached the greatest catfishing site on the planet! Pull up a chair and read for about a month and you will learn more about catfishing than you've picked up in a life time. I am in Coshocton Ohio. If you are ever this way look me up and maybe we'll get out.

As far as your question, if you are having problems catching fish, let me guess. You are fishing with a 6 ft light action rod with a zebco 33 and probably 10lb. test line. For bait you use store bought stink bait, night crawlers, and maybe chicken liver. You can catch many smaller channel cats in this manner. I highly suggest liver for numbers of eater size cats. As you progress, I would recommend an upgrade in your equipment as you budget allows. The first suggestion I have is to go to WalMart or any outdoor store and buy yourself a cast net. This, when you learn how to do it, (some 1st time, others many weeks) will allow you to get the best bait in the world twofold. First it's FREE! Even better than that it is what they are used to eating. It is a common misconception that channel cats are strictly bottom feeder that eat dead smelly things just a step up from carp. As they get bigger say over 3 lbs, their diet changes predominantly to larger bait. What do catfish eat? In the animal kingdom, big fish eat little fish. If you want to be successful you need to offer the fish a larger portion. Just like an adult eat more than a child, so does an adult channel catfish. After you master the art of capturing bait you are ready to find the fish. Volumes have been written on where to find fish when, but I'll give you the in the nutshell approach. Channel cats migrate upstream in the spring. If they come to a dam, they can't go any farther. After spawning they will slide downstream and establish a home with shelter, food, and safety. The highest percentages of these will be near woody structure (Shelter,food) where the bluegill and baitfish hangout close to deeper water (safety) Of course deep water is relative to where you fish. If the average depth is 4 feet, then 6-8 feet can be the safety spot. When catfish feed they go to the "top" of the hole. In most rivers you have 3 parts fast waters where the river bed shallows but the same volume of water moves creating speed. This can also be caused by a drop in elevation of the river. Then you have the hole which is self explanatory. Finally the slow lazy part is the run. When catfish feed they go to the top of the whole. To my way of reckoning this is because the easy food, sick or injured fish is washed helplessly through the fast water. Also at the head of the hole is a depth change creating a lip. That lip protect whatever is behind it from the fast water. Thus the big fish waits for the buffet line and when something tasty comes washing through, with little effort big fish end little fish's life fulfilling natures cycle. Now, just like us, catfish want the biggest bang for the buck, so if they are going to exert effort, they will grab a bigger bait before a smaller bait for the simple fact that more is better with the same effort. So the spots you are looking for are 1. Below dams
    2. At the head of the hole
    a. in the fast water
    b. at the lip
    c. in the deeper (fish the whole hole)
    3. Woody structure that can be called home

The equipment needed is as varied as an outdoor advertisement can sell you, but the basics are a 7' medium action rod, a reel big enough to match to the fish (time to upgrade to spinning gear or baitcasting gear), and a tough line, guessing 20-30lb. test mono or braid. Add to that a size 6-8 Gamakatsu octopus circle hook (name brand counts here, at least to me) Don't laugh when you see the size of these hooks. A fish anywhere from 3lbs to 50 lbs can bite this hook. You also need a sinker heavy enough to hold bottom. Some guys use 8-12 oz's of lead. In Ohio rivers I use 2-5 oz. no roll sinkers. In lakes I use 1/2 -3/4 oz egg sinkers with a split shot to keep the sinker away from the hook.

I hope you have found this helpful.

Shawn

6. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If I was closer to you, we would get together for some cattin. Take Loanwizards advice and it will get you started on the right track. If you fish rivers/creeks, look for cover. You will get into some channels and maybe some flatties.

7. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    well i use several rod and reels. my favorite is an old mitchal 300 on a medium action rod. but most my gers is from places like wal-mart. i use 10 to 12 lb line. which i could use 1 lbs . wouldn't matter at this point. i use store bought shrimp alot. worms and recently trying bluegill as cut bait.but not quite sure exactly how to cut it right . i use very little bait. well on shrimp i use the medium sized ones from kroger. 51-60 count bag for 4.99. and i'll use whole pice. just started useing circle hooks.i've been told to use wheaties and garlic salt also. though no luck.i found an old gravle pit. thats been around for at least 50 years. and its pretty deep. not sure how deep though. i have cought tons of carp. and seen a million bass. even seen a baby northern pike in there. water is super clear i think. cought only 1 cat though. it used to be a pay lake to. then closed down and wasnt fished for years. just now open to public again. i also have to fish usually in the early morning. or until dark. which is early this time of year. oh and no boat either. als o been trying river fishing. like englewood ohio . the englewood reserv. both up stream from dam and down. can anyone give me some tips

8. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i guess you could call me a begainer . cause i cant catch fish. what should i learn to use first as in bait

9. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

where do you live close too??? I live in yellow springs, maybe we can get together sometime

10. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    hey i'm from vandalia area. and from huber hieghts as well

11. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    I have had lots of luck useing store bought shrimp but, don't buy the pre cooked!!! Use and buy only the "green" or uncooked and I like the bigger ones you can always tear them in half if there to big. Also I leave the shells on.

Good luck!

Where is this old pay lake that has opened up to the public? I need to take my daughter carp fishing!!!

12. ripleyhunter

ripleyhunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    I would be more than happy to take u to some spots that are good and no more than 25 minutes from Vandalia.
    i'm getting ready to move to Vandalia (Iverness st.)

13. medichose

medichose New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hay Guy I am not to far form you Mikefisherman and Riverking I live in Eaton Ohio. About A hour from both on you may be some day we all can get to gether.

14. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Mike

Someone might say that shore fishing the Ohio River on the KY side down river from New Richmond, OH @ "Old L&D #35" in the concrete structure there.

I fish @ "Old L&D #9" for the Flats in NE Ohio and do ok. If fact I WISH I knew the next one down stream that had structure left and was fishable from shore for me.

:confused2:

15. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Mike,
    I can take you out on CJ Brown which is 30 min. east of Vandalia, excellent catfishing on that lake or the Great Miami river is another choice spot.........Doc

16. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    Mike if you ever want to come up to columbus for a weekend then let me know when you do...or if you are in town here for a day. I can take you out and show you some stuff and we can catch the heck out of the cats where I fish. Let me know.

17. Sakon

Sakon New Member

State:
    Sand Lake, MI
    Mike dont feel bad I have been having the same problems. I've learned since i found this site, that my problems have been location and bait. I was using frozen smel from the grocery store. I was able to cath some smaller channel cats with the smelt but that is all. I also like to try for other game fish with no luck. For me it's just getting out of the house and into the outdoors.

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mike I was in the same "boat" as you for my first 30 yrs of catfishing then I saw a magazine at work back in 98 called catfish In-sider from the guys at In-fisherman. Back then it came four or five times a year now they only put it out once a year, anyway in there I saw a book called channel catfish fever they put out. It's cover to cover catfish. Everything from baits to rigs, locations, time of year. Basically everything you want to know, even stuff you haven't thought to ask yet. I recieved that book in jan or feb of 99 and I caught four flats and one channel all under 7lbs, on my first trip to the river that year. I'd never caught five cats in the same year in my life. It took me three years after that to land my first 30+ lb flathead, but that night I also caught a 41lber. My advice get that book. Now on to your quarry, if it has channels you can catch the larger ones using small live bluegill for bait. Toss one pole to the outside edge of the weedline and one to the inside edge "bank". Just hook them in the top part of the tail and use a 1/2 or 1oz sinker to hold them in place. Make sure they have about a foot of line to swim around with. Early morning is a great time, just keep quiet, Talk in whispers if you must and no stomping around on the bank, it sends vibrations into the water the cats can feel. and no campfires/flashlights near your baits. Lastly you might need 20lb mono if you hook one over 20lbs. Good luck if you ever get to Zanesville send me a pm and I'll take you out for some flatheads.