Need Salt Striker SS6600X,Trion 66 advice

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by peewee williams, Nov 28, 2006.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Pflueger round bait cast Trion 66 reel and Cabela's round bait caster Salt Striker SS6600X.Both are rated for 200 yards of 17lb.test line.The reels are to be used for salt and fresh water fishing.I know that some of you own the Trion.I don;t know about the Salt Striker.Are they the same reel?I need all of the knowledge that I can get about the lines you have used on them.What rods?Were you satisfied?What would you re spool with?What do you fish for with them?What with and how do you lube and maintain them?Any knowledge about the reels would be helpful so that I will be ready to set up two back ordered reels that I was told would be here in January,God willing and that I am still alive.Thanks,peewee

2. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I put around 200 yards of cajun red 30 lb on a new trion 66 and i love it caught a 35 lb blue cat not a problem at all .

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Hans.I know that I boo boo regular and catch it later.I probably do it a whole lot more and don;t catch it.I also know that Damyl,Yo-Zuri and others have some pretty small diameter hybrid and mono.lines with incredible breaking strengths.I also know that many are now putting lines with breaking strengths 2-5 times the the manufactures recommendation on their reels.I hear a lot of the term "overkill"applied to people who use the size reels recommended for these lines breaking strengths by the reel manufactures.I have a spinning and a trolling reel rigged this way for specific types of fishing.I set my drags to the manufactures specifications for the line ratings of the reels,not what line I have on them.They are great for saltwater fishing down in and among the shell covered huge rock jetties and pilings.The large line diameters will take a lot more cuts and nicks than the smaller diameters.This is pretty much straight up and down fishing from 5-40 feet in and around these shipping channel jetties.If you can get it out of the rocks or pilings,you then follow it in the boat.I am trying to find out everyones experience,uses,and disappointments with these reels as well as their likes.Then I will know what rods and lines to recommend purchasing for these reels and I can set them up properly with the best chance of success.I know that there are some on here that have used and recommended the Tryion 66 for quite a while.I have looked for and read everything that I could find.I hopefully can find out the rest.The more that I know,the better job that I can do.I simply want to do my best,and the experienced people on here have the knowledge that I need.Helping each other is what the BOC is all about.Thanks,peewee

4. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I use the drag if i did'nt a big fish will either take my pole out of my hands and down to the bottom or snap it so i give them some drag of course. I quess i could get a huge deepsea reel and rod in case i cross paths with a mekong cat around 700 lbs but a two pound channel or bullhead would'nt be much fun thats one thing about catfishing i love, if i used a zebco 202 i probably hook a monster and if i had the biggest deep sea winch i would only hook minnows.Thats something a cat fisherman will always face i don't think their is just one rod and reel combo that is perfect from 1 lb to 124 lbs. (OMO)