Need Rod holder help

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by kaskas, Dec 13, 2005.

1. kaskas

kaskas New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have been agonizing on what type of rod holder best suits my boat with the least modification. We fish with 7 and 8 foot heavy poles on the mississippi/ ohio rivers. My last boat was an old 16 ft rivited jon that had pvc tubes along the inside ribs. It held the poles good when motoring form place to place but when fishing I found that the angle was too upright to my liking. I have seen that driftmasters and scotty systems are popular but my problem seems to be how to mount them. The top most rub rail is tubular maybe 1/2 inch dia. I could mount a couple behind my seats as we fish primarily out of the back of the boat. Well I'll quit rambling, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Aaron,
    I have a 16 foot john with Driftmaster holders that I made myself. Some are on the round gunnel and some are on the flat decks front and rear adjacent to the seats. Here is a pic of the ones that mount in the decks. I'll try and find a pic of the rail mounts. There are on the board somewhere, maybe someone can find them and tell you where to look...W

Attached Files:

3. metalman

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Aaron,
    here are the pics of the rail mounts...W

4. metalman

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Or not! Anyone, what does "exceeds forum quota" mean? Thanks...W

5. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    There's a 200k file size limit per post.

I'm interested to see what your gunwale mounts look like. The deck mounts look good!!

/Scott

6. metalman

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Side rail mounts:

Attached Files:

7. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a bunch of the driftmaster mounts on my boat, and I didn't know what they were. where can you get the rod holders for them, as all I have are the mounts.

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I think cabelas and several others carry them. Just remember they make two sizes. the lil pro and the pro model. If you use large rods you will need the larger pro models to fit the rod into them. Try there web site and you can read up on there different models. I think its driftmaster.com or just do a search driftmaster rod holders and you can find it.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Walmart also carries them in both sizes most of the time. I would check there first to save shipping and handling charges.

10. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    You need to find out what size your mounts are. They make two sizes as mentioned above. lil pros have 3/8" threads and pros have 1/2" threads. Bass Pro Shops also stocks a decent selection. ;)

11. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    thanks, it looks as if the guy before me ran into the size problem, as there are inserts in some of them.

12. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Just remember pvc works wonders if you are willing to build your own setup. I have seen alot of boats where they have built a rail along the back of their boat and hooked pvc pipe to it for the poles.Over the weekend we seen a guy in a tracker boat at the steam plant that is what he had, boy was he getting in way to close he was lucky somebody did'nt call in on him. What ever is easiest for you and cost effective, I am sure someone will chime in with a diagram.

13. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I had never seen the Driftmaster pro. The little Driftmaster as noted can be a problem to get some rods out of. Well I ordered some of the Pro's and machined some bases to go on the side of of the 16' flat bottom. This is how they look.

Attached Files:

14. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Not too sure about doing that to my 05 16' tracker boat. but the rod holders look great.. maybe on the ole jon??? <scratches head>

15. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Most boats have either vertical or horizontal surfaces avaliable that the Driftmaster factory bases can be attached to. The stem of the rod holder can be vertical as it needs to be to rotate and keep the rod at a constant angle. The seat and the top of the rail are the only horizontals on the old jon boats. I didn't want to have things mounted on the top of the rail. I can take the rod holders off the base and everything is out of the way. I have been using the smaller driftmaster holders on the rail of the pontoon boat for years but had never seen the Pro line which is worth the difference if you use a rod with a handle that doesn't come out very smoothley. Previously I had the plastic Atwood holder Just never did like it. The bottom line is that you can learn a lot about what is avaliable and how other people solve their problems on this site. :D

16. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    The holders can be found at Bass pro if you need help getting a link just send me a PM

17. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    the top rail on my boat has a channel that runs the length of it. I found some T shaped aluminum, cut to fit, with a T head bolt. I can move the brackets around to where needed, attach the rodholder as needed, or any other item I need.

18. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I have an idea for a rodholder setup. Going to build it soon, let me have some opinions. I've got driftmaster mounts on my boat and the ones back in the back corners are hard to get out of the holder with a big fish on so I'm going to mke a bar that runs along the back of the boat where all my rods are close at hand. I got a 12' piece of 1" x 1/2" aluminum flat bar from a local metal shop for about 34$. I cut 2- 2" pieces off the end and made some mounts by drilling 2 holes on the sides for mounting and tapped a center hole for 3/8" coarse. I will mount these on either sides of the boat and put a piece of threaded rod in them with some wingnuts and washers. This will allow you to get the bar up off the boat. Then simply measure the remaining piece between the 2 and drill holes so you can mount them on the threaded rod. Then just drill and tap as many holes in it as you need. This metal is light and strong and wo'nt be too bulky. Whenever I get some time, I'm going to put it together. what do ya'll think. I have seen similar setups with wood, but this will work so much better. Opinions?

19. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Driftmaster Pro and Li'l Pro series rodhouders are available with an 8" long stem to get the rod up a little higher in the areas over a deck or near the transom.

I use Driftmaster Duo-Pro on my boat for drifting on the Arkansas River, and six torpedo launcher rod holders on the stern for trolling.

I used to use the plastic Atwood rod holders, but the combination of hard fishing, sun exposure and stress of hard strikes caused every one of the mounts to crack and two to break completely while one rodholder failed under stress.

I do not expect the Driftmaster 1/2" Stainless Steel cold rolled rods to have the same problem. Stainless Steel rods are available on the Pro series, and are well worth the small extra expense.

Speaking of expense, the Atwood set-up cost me about $20.00 per holder and mount set. The Stainless set will run about $25.00 each.

20. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    KasKas, Here is what I did on my g3. The channel is 1 5/8" unistrut and you can buy what ever size spring nut you need to put in the channel to hold your rod holder. I made mine as you can see. The hole that the handle goes into is longer than a driftmaster and I have found that it is easier to remove the rod when a big fish is on. If you could post a pic of the back of your boat it would be easier to come up with a idea. I had a g3 1860 with a similiar set up. I'll post a pic of it tomorrow if I can find it. Hope this helps...
    It want let me upload it because I have already uploaded it on another thread so here's the link...http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3815&d=1137075337