Need Rigging Help!

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by TOPS, Mar 4, 2007.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I bought some flies that should resemble may flies. When the may flies start hitting the water, I would like to catch some blue gill that are hitting the may flies. I do not have a fly rod and would like to use an ultra-lite to cast the flies. How can I rig a rod to cast flies without the flies sinking? May flies float until the gills suck them under.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Go to wally world and get you one of those cheap 19.00 fly rods they have. That is what I use to get bluegill for bait.

3. rgrshadow

rgrshadow New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Clear floaters are available, they add the necessary weight and float, then add a long leader and the fly. Hope you catch a boat load. They are good to eat.

rgrshadow

4. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I got my fly rod from Academy, but yeah around th $20.oo mark. I tried a lil last yr, but didnt have much luck, wanna try again this yr to catch blue gills, maybe even crappie. good luck.

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You can also add a little wax to the fly to keep it floating.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I think Gerald's response is the closest to the answer you were wanting, Top. Just rig you outfit so the float is at the end of you line, and the fly comes off a leader above the float. You should be able to control this rig and make the fly dance and struggle like an actual insect. But be careful, too....you may catch a big bass and you don't want to do that if your a cat fisherman.

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Thanks for the replies but I do not wont to buy a fly rod. I have enough trouble casting my rods:big_smile: I will make my ultra-lite work someway, somehow.

8. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Verlon, get you some small casting bubbles and hook it to your line and leave 4 to 5 ft of line behind it and get some waterproofing spray to spray the fly with and it wont sink,also if you are after gills try a foam green spider with white legs, trim the legs a little shorter ,they are killer gill baits

9. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    This is how I do it. Tie on your fly, place one of those 3/4" or 1" red and white snap-on bobbers about 3 feet above it. Now here is the easy part, buy some dry fly floatant and treat your fly. This will make it float on top of the water. Re-treat the fly as recommended, to keep it floating. Sometimes the fish like it to be worked slow, and sometimes they like it worked slow or twitched. Find the retrieve that they want, and you will catch lots of fish.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use the clear ADJUSTA BUBBLE it has a piece of surgical tubing running through the center of it ,you run the line through the tubing then give one end a twist to hold it in place leaving as much leader as wanted tie on your fly. you can also fill them partially with water for more casting distance.

11. ibcleary

ibcleary New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    +1 on reload

The Adjustable Bubble is a cool produce. You can fill it with a little water and it will cast further. Also it is pretty neutral in the water so it doesn't effect the action of the fly so much. The floatant is also a must with this set-up. On a fly rod, when you cast the fly it is whip through the air and it dries between casts. No so with a spinning rod.

12. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I take my bobber pole and take off the bobber and the wait leaving just a very small hook. I pick the mayflies off the water and hookem. I have caught some huge crappie like that. I like to find stuff to do while im waiting for the big one to come by.