Need rig info

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by whiskerbattler, Apr 30, 2007.

1. whiskerbattler

whiskerbattler New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I am going to get a new rod and reel maybe 2 of them. Want a 7-9 footer and a 12 footer what am I looking at for a good setup around 50 or 60 dollars any advice appreciated!!!!

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    A Abu 6000 or 6500C3 baitcaster, and Berkley Cherrywood E-glass casting rod for 20 bucks.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    For a 100 bucks you cant beat an ABU 6500 and a 7' ugly cat rod.

4. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Don't forget to add an extra $14 for the Power Pro.

5. whiskerbattler

whiskerbattler New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Also forgot to mention that i prefer a spinner reel to an open face baitcaster. First choice would be spinner, second choice would be a closed casting reel. Now what are my best choices.

6. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I would pick for a Caba 40 and Lami Triflex 96MHS setup spooled with 300 yds of Suffix braid.

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Get a shakespear contender I have one of this set and both R/R are about 30 bucks. It seems like a pretty good setup, I have seen one pull in a 8 lbr no problem

8. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you really cant beat a ugly stick catfish pole which is 30 dollars and pair it up with a abu garcia 6500c3 which is 80 dollars and it will last a lifetime

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    You could get that $30.00 UglyStik and go on ebay and get a vintage Garcia Mitchell 300/302/306 for around $30.00 including shipping which would bring you in at the $60.00 price you wanted. The Mitchell Reel size depends on how large of an outfit you want. If your targeting smaller Cats the 300 is a good choice. If your after midsize Cats the 306 is perfect and the for the big boys go with the 302. The old Mitchell reels where made in France and are built like a brick sh**house, no plastic inside these old classics. I do all my cattin' with these reels and love 'em!

10. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Me Too LOVE them Old Mitchells!!! And those old D.A.M.Quicks will put the Smoke on them cat's Also!!! J.D.
    :big_smile_2: :big_smile_2: