Need regulation help!

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Ghoulscout 13, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    hey guys i know at one point that we were going to be required to have a lincese whether we were fishing in our county of residence or not i wanted to know if that was still gonna happen or when it goes into effect...i need to know asap cuz i planed on goin fishing today when i rememberd that and i dont have any money to go get a license i just check the NC wild life commision web site and it still says
    "A resident may fish with natural bait in his county of residence without a basic fishing license in inland public waters. "Natural bait" is any bait which may be beneficially digested by fish. An individual must carry a form of identification that indicates the name and current address. This exemption does not apply to the special trout license. "

so i need you guys to let me know so i can go fish. thnaks a lot

Devin

2. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I read a article that starting January 2007 you had to have license to fish in your own county with live bait. I guess its passed and is in affect? haven't heard anymore about it.

3. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    well i think im just gonna go...if the wild life commision hasnt made any modification to its site on the subject it must not be important or gone into effect....why should i be punished for their neglegence? i wont im gonna go fish

4. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    I believe that's right Michael. The only thing I'm fuzzy on is; does this only apply to public waters? Or anywhere in the state?

Jon

5. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    All the new laws went into effect on january first. The coastal recreational and the natural bait rule. As of January first you can not fish in this state for free unless you are under 16 years of age or over 65 years old.

6. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I don't mean to offend. I just want you to hear my opinions. I don't likelimblines and I don't like jugs. I don't think that is a "sporty" way to catch fish. To me, it's like pulling catfish out of a trap. let alone all the times I've seen jugs swimming around the lake with fish on them and nobody around, not even a boat trailer in the parking lot, or all the limbs left smacking the water. It's pretty tempting to go over there and cut the line when I know it was left out and the people that put it out have already gone. just my 2 cents. I call 'em as I see 'em!

7. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    as of jan 1,07 a fishing license will be requied to take any finfish in the state of northcarolina alos as of the same date a saltwater license will be requied for fishing saltwater and bays and esturie

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...why should i be punished for their neglegence?..."

Ask the judge that and he will tell you, "...ignorance of the law is no excuse...GUILTY!!!!"

Rookie I agree about limb lines. My biggest concern is the safety of other animals and game fish. Allowing a limb lline to be left unattended can result in a muskrat, river otter, or beaver being hooked on the line and drowned. It can also result in hooking and killing a gamefish.

I hope that one day the state of NC will recognize the catfish as a gamefish and change many of the current harvest laws.

9. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    I completely agree with you and there was a petition to get the catfish as a game fish I dont know how far it got but Riverside Sports Center had it for a while, there was over 500 signatures on it and thats all the space that hey had so it might be in the works.

10. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Billy, I am glad to hear there was a petition to get the catfish listed as a game fish. This year the catfish club I am president of will be pursuing that avenue again. We will need to help of catfish anglers statewide, so keep your ears open.

11. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    If you need someone to start it at Fayetteville I will be more than happy to just tell me when.

12. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I have not done a lot of jugging/limb lines or trot lines but most of my life I have done it several times a year while camping and I can't remember anything other than a catfish, gar or blackfish being caught using those methods.

We always set ours right around dark and tried to check them at least once per night and pull them in early.

I don't see a real problem with it, there are some people that make a living doing it.

The problem I have is the law says you can't use live bait and some people do, I think that is how we lose the big cats and gamefish but using cut bait as the law specifies I don't see a problem with it.

It does suck though that you can't fish in your own county without a license any more. I have had licenses since I was 15 but I know some people who go only a little or can't really afford the license.

13. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    thanks for all the replies i went to walmart that same day to get bait and happend over to the fishin department and they had the new regulation posted. so i had to find some cash and get a license, so yes it is in effect you need to have a license no matter how your fishing or what your fishing for

14. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i see a post that say some cannot afford fishing license. i dont get that. we all need to support the fishing license program because that money is what makes fishing what it is. heck aluimiun cans are bring .60-.65 cents a pound. you can go to most boat landings roads and pick up enough cans to buy fishing license. lifes about prepairing yourself for the things you want to do in it. will equals a way. alot of folks that cannot afford it smoke cig. and i quit smoking to pay for canada hunting trip. add it up.

15. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    It does suck though that you can't fish in your own county without a license any more. I have had licenses since I was 15 but I know some people who go only a little or can't really afford the license.[/QUOTE]

How can people afford hooks and line and rods and reels and bait and gas to get to the river or lake but not a measly $15 license. I know some people are bad off, but I think this state is pretty cheap compared to a lot of them.

16. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Anyone who can not afford a resident fishing license, but can afford rods, reels, bait, gas, and the time away from work might need to reevaluate their expenditures. :wink:

17. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    I dont care I would dig my own worms catch my own minnows or anything that I could do to make sure I had enough money for the license. For one thing why not spend $15 now instead of $150 after getting caught and going to court for it. The other thing is thats how alot of the conservations efforts get funded. I say the next time you see someone wihtout a license you take all of there gear and send them on their way before I get out of college and become a Game Warden and get them myself.

18. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Wylie what club are you the president of?