Need recommendations

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by Kutter, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I need/want to build a box of some sorts to hold about 50 metalworking taps and dies. These taps are from 1'-8 down to 2-56 and contain Bottom and Starter styles in both coarse and fine thread. Also have them for pipe thread from 1/8-27 to 1/2-14 and in Metric from #3 to #12. A box for the dies would be nice, but not required. Right now, these taps are laying loose in plastic containers and because my tool cart is pushed several miles each day over a brick floor, they constantly bump around and dull each other. I need something to keep each separated and in order. Nothing I have come up with fits the bill. Mostly, because of the tool cart configuration of the drawers, which pretty much won't allow for the taps to be stored vertically and space is at a premium. Short presentation style boxes seems to be the answer, but I haven't the slightest idea of how to keep the taps separated.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    kutter,
    here is what I have used in the past, layout the taps on a bench the way you want them orginized,take either a small piece of wax or clay to help hold them in place, make a wood frame around the taps to use for a form and lay a piece of saran wrap over the taps and then spray a layer of spray foam over the top and then lay a board over the top so that when the foam starts expanding it will force the foam to form around the taps, the saran wrap will keep the foam from making its way under the taps ,once the foam sets up it dosent take much work to get a good fit.
    it will take you about as long as it takes to rack a batch of wine. lol

3. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great idea Kirk!

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I'm not sure about tap and dies but I have made a similar tool box for router tips. Simply drill the hole size you will need for each tap and die half walf thru a piece of board. 1 inch stock should be plenty, I use tread material or what ever is cut offs at the job site as it throw away and free.
    Find you a metal tool box of approiate size that will allow you to stack as many layers of these boards as you need and walla....

5. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Take a 2"X whatever fits the length of your taps. Drill all the way thru the 2" side as many holes as will fit in your particular length. Band saw the 2" X thru the center of the length of your board. You now have 2 1" by whatever with grooves for the taps. Or take 2 1 bys, clamp them together, drill your holes and eliminate the band saw...

~~~~~~~~~~
    North Dakota: We Really Are One of the 50 States!

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Just kidding on the new cart... limited space up and down?..I was thinking of something like the box that "letter stamps" or "number stamps" come in, and like the last suggestion as well...
    I've just always kept them in a box, but no bricks to roll over .... get a wood "forsner bit" and bore holes for the dies? or brace bit expansive bit?
    As machinist, I've seen em mostly standing up... in holes

good luck,

bayrunner

7. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You could also use some of the plastic flat tackle boxes they sell. They have adjustable compartments and are made in a lot of different sizes. If you find one you like you could always use that as a model to make one out of wood.

8. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    when i worked in an industral plant i took the thick paper we used and wraped it around the outside of thread portion of tap then wrapped with masking tape and wrote size on tape. they laid flat but rolling around didn't damage threads. i also stored them in a piece of plastic with holes drilled in it in tool box but could get what ever i needed to put on my cart for whaterver job i was going to do. boliver

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I want to thank all of you for your ideas.
    Cat Tamer, your idea was similar to what I had been thinking. Although I was in the mind to fill the wood box with the stuff and as it came close to drying, lay the taps on it and weight it down with a board. The Saran Wrap Idea is great.

Spoonfish, I had thought about your ideas, but am not able to store the taps vertically inside my cart. Some of taps are as long as 6 inches, with the max drawer height of 3 inches.

Ol Man, Now thats an idea I can work with, let me give it some thought. I see no reason I couldn't put hinges and a clasp on it. I could then "fill in the entry holes made with the drill. Hmmm, not a bad idea at all.

Gilmafam, a new cart sure sounds like a great idea, but mine already weights about 800 lb's and a bigger one would be even harder to push around. There's no wonder I have a bad back.

Beetle, That is what I am using now, but with so many taps, I have to put several in each "slot", thus the dulling effect.

Boliver, now that has got to be the simples answer to my problem and I never even thought about doing that. I had thought about just using masking tape, but didn't want the glue gumming up the threads. You idea of paper first, then tape, should work.

Thanks to all of you, again.