Need quick advice on new reel purchase

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Rich.Carpenter, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hi folks. I'm new to the forums, and I'm looking forward to learning a lot. I did some catfishing when I was younger, but never very seriously. Now that I'm getting back into it, I'd like to gear myself up a little better. It's not often that I spend $100+ on a reel, so I'm trying to make the most informed decision I can here.

I'm looking for a baitcaster that is up to the task of tackling some big cats, though what I will typically be handling something more in the 20-25lb range at the high end (there are some much bigger out there, but I don't typically run into them - it'd just be nice to not get worked over if I do).

I normally fish rivers (nothing huge) and lakes, bank mostly.

Here are some of the primary features I'm looking for:

• It needs to be smooth casting. I'm still working on my baitcaster chops.
    • I need to be able to get good distance with it. I'll probably be using an 8' MH action rod, though I could go 8.5 to 9'.
    • I'd like to have a bait alert, but this is not a deal-breaker by any means.
    • I prefer a centrifugal breaking system.
    • I'm willing to sacrifice just a bit of cranking power for retrieval speed, but not too much. ;)
    I've been considering the following reels, though I am certainly open to other suggestions:

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Either one of those reels will work good, and last a long time. Welcome to the BOC

3. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    If you plan on sticking to your list $100 reel, those 2 Garcia that you listed are definately not in that price range. However, there are many other Garcias of similar build that are. Any of which should serve your purposes.

Now, if you want a great price, and the faster retrieve that you mentioned...catfish connection has some Trophy series Garcias in stock. They are a discontinued product, but they have 6.3:1 ratio and can be had for $75 a piece. They are in the 6500 line of Garcias, just as the other 2 that you listed as candidates.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Rick,GO ABU,I have a 7000 on one of my 12 ftrs it will cast over 100 yds with a 5 oz weight and whole shad, if you bank fish ,this is a great setup

5. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Can't go wrong with 6500 or 7000 series. Great casting, retrieval, and line capacity. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

6. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    welcome to the BOC Rich. Both abu reels are good reels. And the Penn, I would go with a 220 or 230. Both good reels.

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    6500 or 7000 series

8. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    I concour.

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You won't go wrong with any of the Abu's mentioned. I use the 6500 and 7000 Pro Rockets on 12' rods. I also use a 6500c3. The Pro Rockets are very nice. Good luck.

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    All above good advice. Welcome to the BOC.

11. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i got the abu 6600 c4 it was a little more than 100, but WELL worth it, it definitely meets all the requirements your lookin for

12. kycatfish

kycatfish New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I have 2 of the 6500cp and i absolutly love them i am going to buy me 2-3 more just to keep in case one of mine tearup. I have them on team catfish 1 ton level 2 rod with 20 lb p-line cxx and i have NO Problem bringing in a big one i brought in a 63 lb with no problem.

13. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
  14. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    You really cant go wrong with either a 6500 or a 7000. I personally have 2 8ft mh rods one with a 6501c3 and the other with a plain 6500. I actually prefer the plain 6500. Both are spooled with 20lb solar green big game and they cast so nice.

Welcome to the BOC pull up a chair and read a while

15. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Cant go wrong with anything 6500 or bigger.I prefer the 9000 because I like mono and it gives me the xtra capacity,but if using braid a 6500 is plenty enough to handle the bigguns.

16. SW Hunter

SW Hunter New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Either one will work great!! I like the 6500 C3. Good luck.

17. Rich.Carpenter

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the welcomes and great advice. As it turns out, we had to take a trip to Alabama (from Indiana) today to visit my father-in-law in the hospital, and there happens to be not 1, not 2, but 3 Bass Pro Shops on the way (maybe more, but these were right along I65). It was the first time I had gotten to visit one of their super stores, and I must say I was in a state of bliss. The wife even cut me some slack and let me browse for longer than I should have. She's a saint. ;)

Anyway, I ended up walking out with an Abu Garcia 7000iC3. It's probably more than I need for fishing around home, but playing with it in the store I had visions of fishing a big river at some point.

I looked at the Penns and really liked them, but not a one had IAR. Also, they don't auto-engage the spool on retrieve. I didn't realize those would be show-stoppers for me, but they were. /shrug I may have just gone with the 6500C3, but I just couldn't get past the plastic bait alarm switch. It really felt cheap to me on an otherwise fantastic piece of hardware. I really like the side-mounted metal switch on the 7000. The lever style spool release is also a nice touch.

One thing I learned was that no amount of research can really compare to actually getting one in your hands and checking it out up close and personal. Now I just need to find a (very) reasonably priced 8-8.5' rod for it.

Thanks again, everyone!

18. Rich.Carpenter

State:
    Indiana
    Ok, had to post some pix, even though everyone probably already knows what they look like. :0a13:

Attached Files:

19. dcm

dcm New Member

State:
    ky
    sweet,,,,,,,,,i lost a vintage 7000 recently that was just like new,i found it at flea market in the box and never used..........it was green,,,i let it go over side of the boat :crazy: now i am in market myself,,,,,,,,,,,that will make u a great reel,,hope u catch a hundred pounder on it

20. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The 6500 is a smoother and farther casting reel to me.

I have been using them for years, and that plastic bait alarm switch has never been a problem.

I juist cant get the distance I need from a 7000, but they are fine reels.