Need pros and cons of evinrude Etec motor

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by 1sporticus, Dec 1, 2007.

1. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I need some good and bad stuff on the Etec, so what does anyone know> Later Andy

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    1. More fuel efficiant than a 4 stroke
    2. More low end torque, because it's a 2 stroke
    3. No crank case oil and filter changes to worry about
    4. Less weight than a 4 stroke
    5. Less polluting than a 4 stroke
    6. The only 2 stroke outboard that has a muffler (strange sounding engine)
    7. No break in period needed
    8. No scheduled maintenance for 3 yrs.

It's powered with Ficht fuel injectors. Yes the Ficht engines put the OMC corp out of business, but since Bombardier took over johnson/evinrude, the Ficht Ram induction has been perfected to the point, that I know personally of several engines with over 700 to over 800 hrs on them. These are in the 200 hp range, tournament fishing boat engines.

As far as the bad goes;
    1. The spark plugs are real expensive.
    2. You won't find anyone who can diagnose the power head problems of the
    e-tec, if you have any, here on the boc. It takes a laptop computer and the diagnostic hardware, and plug in, to do it.
    3. It requires synthetic 2 stroke oil, but is that a bad thing?

You'll also need the required gauges to go with the new harness, and buy it from people who have been schooled in the proper way to rig, set up, and maintenance of the E-tec.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Bob, you went to an E-Tec school a couple of years ago.
    I was pretty sold on 4 strokes until you came back and told me about the E-Tec.
    If I were looking a new boat or a new engine, I'd be shopping E-Tecs.

All of these engines are expensive to buy parts for and have worked on thats what scares me about the 4- stroke engines particularly. (more moving parts)
    My gut tells me a big majority of these 4 stroke engines would never be rebuilt like the 2 strokes have been over the years.
    Cost to repair would make them a throw away engine and probally the boat its on as well for the average boat owner.

We can finance boats easy. Financing repairs is entirely different.:crazy:

Do you have any examples of the cost to rebuild a 2 stroke vs a 4 stroke of similar engines?

My focus is aimed more at logevity and affordability.

The big thing with 4 strokes used to be noise and fuel consumption but if the major repairs exceed the fuel savings you haven't saved a thing.
    Thats one of my considerations.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The issue of injectors. I dont know what the cause of OMC's problems were but I know having worked at a car dealer in the early 90's for a short period we had injector problems and had far out fuel injector cleaning systems that had to be done at the dealer.

You dont see those problems anymore because the fuel companies have stepped up to the demand of clean fuels in todays more modern fuel systems.
    One of the large car repair center owners in Raleigh the other day said a bad injector today was a rarity because of the fuel of today.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The problem with the Ficht injectors is they're so damned powerful. It's a ram style injector, similar to desiels.

Gas is ram injected at 700 lbs of pressure, for atomization. You won't see any claims by any other engine builder comparing E-tecs to there's. E-tecs have challenged them all, and so far has come out on top.

Of course we'll hear from someone who's got an uncle, who new this girl, that married a guy, who had a cousin, that heard of someone, that read an article, that wasn't real favorable towads the E-tecs.:smile2:

No, I don't have any cost comparisons to the 4 stroke/2stroke rebuilds.

6. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I'm not a gear head , so I have to have it start the 1st time.I have a 60 hr. that pushes a 20 ft pontoon , it does 19 to 20 mph .It runs quiet and needs little maintanece, at least for the first 3 years. I am a Mercury guy, but this came with the pontoon I wanted. So far its so great !I've had it 2 1/2 years.

7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I like the Etec....I hadda buy a yamaha 2 stroke for my new boat because the smallest etec is 40hp, and my little boat is only rated for a 25hp. You hafta get the ETEC reprogrammed after the initial "break in". This is where the engine over-oils for the first i think 10hrs. You reprogram it to run either the XD-50 (semi synthetic) or the XD-100 (full synthetic). XD-100 is more expensive, but the engine uses less oil. From what i read, ETEC's new system isn't the old FICHT system. That system was so flawed that bombardier scrapped the whole mess and started over. i believe its similar, but not exactly the same (plus they hadda have a catchy name to call it beside FICHT after that whole debacle).

8. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    This style injection is the most efficient there is and is very similar to a diesel injector. Fuel is forced down through the injector body and out the tip by a needle at extremely high pressures which instantly atomizes fuel. If dieseld don't atomize fuel right, then they will fuel knock like crazy or ping as gas engines will sometimes. I wonder why car manufacturers don't use this. Some injectors I see at work need around 3000-4000 psi to open. Fuel under that pressure turns to vapor instantly and that is what burns. Diesel liquid and gas liquid won't burn. It's the vapors that are flammable. You can put a cigarrette out in diesel fuel, just don't try it at home, but I've seen it. just my .02!

9. gonecatn

gonecatn New Member

State:
    arizona
    The california game and fish are switching to etecs because they are actually cleaner and cheaper to run than the 4 strokes.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I have switched all my Navy boats to E-tecs and we love them.That is 16 engines from 90hp up.We run them hard and so far they have performed flawlessly.I have said it before on here;"Before you go 4 stroke check into the E-Tecs and Optimaxs" They are two stroke and just as fuel efficient,weigh less and are cheaper to operate.If you are contemplating buying an outboard today FORGET what you know from the past!!!!Get the facts which are readily available then choose.I personally have an Optimax and love it but wouldnt have aproblem switching to E-Tec ,it just happens I am a Mercury guy when its my choice.:smile2::big_smile:

11. br7874884

br7874884 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    you cant go wrong wirh evinrude. if they were no good they wouldnt have been around this long. i havent ever had one before, but my bro had an old one like probably 40+ yeard old. and it ran good till he got rid of it, and i have a feeling he is still kicking himself for that. i think you will be happy with one, al gore on the other hand might be pissed off at you for running a 2 stroke. they say there worse on the ozone than the 4 stroke. i dont belive in global warming so id perfer a 2 stroke cause they last for ever.

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    In answer to a question I got in a recent PM about not being able to diagnose power head problems without the computer and program for e-tecs.

I'd rather trust the computer than an opinion. That program will tell you so much, it often makes a liar out of the boat owner.

Gee, Mr mechanic, I never had that engine over 5000 rpm's. Oh yeah, well let's plug in this here computer and see what it has to say. Come to find out, he's bumped the rev limiter at least a dozen times.

Or a guy recently that had over 200 hrs on a Ficht Ram and still was in the break in mode. Why, because he seldom took it over 1800 rpm's.

Then there's the on board computer that will compensate for minor glitches and let your engine run perfectly with no harm, even though the check engine light is on. Example is the shift assist switch. It momentarily drops the engine rpm's when you shift, saving wear and tear on the lower unit. The engine will run out great, but the check engine light is on. Tough to diagnose, but no problem with the computer to do it.