Need part for a Master reel - Where can I find it?

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by screen, Mar 11, 2006.

1. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    I have a Master reel with a broken clicker spring - Does anyone know where I can get parts for Master reels?

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i have no clue as to where you would get parts for a master reel. that would be kinda nice to know though.

3. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Master reels are made by Penn.
    Master 165, I bet

4. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Scott's tackle . com and the place bill_gfish has posted in the abu parts thread are both good places to find penn parts.

5. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    Thank you Sir, I will check it out!

6. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    You may want to check ebay for a "parts reel". Ive bought a few penn senators in different sizes for about 8 bucks a piece including shipping.

7. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    Well I made contacts for my Master 180 and all told me that Masters were no longer made (Not the same as the Penn master) and a dealer out there might have that clicker spring I need but none of those contacted were master dealers!! So when anyone out there gets near a reel repair shop (Most likely deep water) could you ask for me if they have the part, THANKS!
    The reel has a big M on the side -
    Thanks!

8. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bruce,

Is it the plastic circle part you are looking for? I think that's the "spring".

If it is, send me a pm with your address and I will put it in the mail for you.

Dave

9. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Screen, what spring are you talking about? I took mine apart and it doesn't have a spring. It's got a thin metal strip that, when you engage the clicker, it slides into contact with a gear which gives you the "clicking" sound. If it's the thin metal strip that broke, I could prolly make you one using mine as a template. The bends in it shouldn't be to difficult to duplicate if I can find the right kind of metal. Looks brass to me.
    Rat

10. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    Dave thanks - Rat is right on, I called it a spring but it is as he says a flat brass strip wrapped arround a post and where it engages the cog about 1/4 of an inch broke off - now no clickey! LOL If you would have something like this e-mail me a pic for review - thanks!

Rat - if you can't find a piece of the metal I will look arround here and send it to you! THANKS! I think my hardware store has brass shims? I will check monday!

Maybe will get lucky and Dave may have the part so we don't have to manufacture it!

Nice feedback reps to all!

11. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    I'll stay tuned and see if Dave has one. If not, I'll check the hardware store and see what I can come up with. Shouldn't be that difficult to gin one up.
    (Famous last words, Lol)
    Rat

12. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Rat,

Mine is totally different, it has a big plastic circular spring that rides the clicker, no metal parts involved at all :(

If you measure your spring I will look through my shim stock and see if I can match the thickness you need.

Dave

13. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    Thanks Dave!

Rat - let me know what you need!

14. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Master Fishing Tackle
    1009 E. Bedmar St.
    P.O. Box 5247
    Carson, CA 90746

(310) 631-5188 (323) 774-1929
    FAX (310) 631-6054

They have parts for the Master-Roddy reels, Maybe they can help you.

15. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Dave, Bruce...........I'll check the hardware store Saturday morning and see if they got something that'll work. If not, I'll let you guys know. I work 3rd shift, and during the day both my vehicles are gone with the wife and daughter, so I'm pretty much homebound during the week.
    I was also thinking, if I can't find anything at the hardware store, I'm wondering about the piece of brass that runs down the inside of a flashlight? I was looking at one yesterday, and it looked awful close in width and thickness.
    Rat

16. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Screen, just for the heck of it I tore apart an old flashlight and took out the brass strip. It's perfect in every way, except at the end of the original there's a wider spot that fits onto the gear. The flashlight brass isn't wide enough in that one area. But I can bend it to match the original, so if I find a piece wide enough, I think I can make one that'll work. In the picture, the one I made is on the left, original is on the right. You can see the wider area at the bottom of the original. I'll see if I can find a more suitable sized piece on Saturday.
    Rat

Attached Files:

17. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    If you don't find something the let me know and I will check up here!

18. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Screen, I found exactly what I was looking for. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Rat

19. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    Great! let me know!