Need opinions on a boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by huntoften, Jun 29, 2008.

1. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've got a line on a 16 foot jon boat with a 25hp johnson on it. The motor is a 2003. Boat is fully rigged with lights, fish locator, etc. Trailer looks decent. Does anyone know anything about the 2 stroke 25hp johnsons? I've never owned a johnson motor so don't know much about them. Also...do you think $2,250 is a decent price for the whole rig?

2. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds like a pretty fair price to me. I have a 14 foot Lowe big jon with a 25hp Johnson, electric start, tiller handle. Never had any problems at all, its a 2000 model. All I do for yearly maintenance is change the lower unit oil, spark plugs, and clean the fuel filter screen. Fires every time and does really well on fuel too. I even run the 10% ethanol fuel with my 50-1 premix, everything always looks as it should. Mine even has a charging system in the motor, not sure how much it puts out but even a little is better than none. Only thing I go through is props, chasing flatheads is kind of hard on props! Chris

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would have to say you are on to something-Look er over good....maybe run it....money will talk! cash is a buetiful thing if you can swing it like that .....Johnson motors are good motors You take care of them they will take care of you. Yup its worth a peep if yer in the market!
    Just curious what yr is boat & make plus trailer yr/make?

4. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    I bought mine almost a year ago now. I have never had one minutes trouble except a fuel line from the carb to the fuel pump needed changed. It is on a 16 ft. Lowe with CMC power tilt and trim. I have a 50 lb thrust minn kota on the front. It will push me and the wife and all our gear and we take a good bit.. of gear...... @ approx 21 mph........ With just me around 26. We do have a dolphin fin on the motor which will help it to plain much quicker and save on fuel on take off...... Hope this helps ya out.

Altamahajon

5. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Greg has a great boat and it got around very nicely down here in south georgia, my long shaft mercury ate alot of mud, I got good cleaning the motor out!
    Brian

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is an excellent price for the boat you describe. Are you buying or selling

7. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well thanks for the advice...I bought it yesterday. Motor runs great, lots of extras, wired with lights all over the place, fish finder, 12 gallon tank ( i moved it to the front today). I'm very happy with it...have some modifications to make (rod holders, etc..), but it will be on the water starting monday!

8. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    James,

it sounds like you are happy with the boat, and a lot of times you have to go with your gut feeling. Not many boats will be set up exactly how we want them or their to small etc. But if you look at a boat and your gut says to get it it's a good price, then get it. And it sounds like you just did that. Now you just got to set her up and make her yours, sounds like you arleady started! Now, just let us know how many fish you bring over the side of her on the maiden voyage!

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on the boat, You will be very happy I think. Having a boat changes everything when it comes to fishing, although there are some pains in learning the new techniques

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sounds like you got a "steal of a deal". Heck a new Johnson 25 is over 3 grand by itself. Do post pics when you get a chance. You never did say what year/brand the boat was.
    BB in SC