Need opinion on jet motor

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by heeler, Jun 10, 2006.

1. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    Around here,there are alot of small rivers.I have been thinking of upgrading to a jet.All I hear is good,nothin bad.Can someone give me the real lowdown.thanks

2. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    What rivers are u goin to run on? Lots of diff jet boat setups,U lookin at outboard or inboard jet?...:confused2: I have owned outboards,but now have an inboard jet......Ur humble servant Beartrap and buoy

3. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    I would like to run the Meremac,on the weekdays,when the canoers ain't out.I would also like to run the missouri.thanks

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I run a jet and will never run anything but again. only bad thing that i have found is grass

5. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Heeler....I think most on the meremac are runin outboard jets.Not quite as efficient as inboards.But if outboards are what u want goto www.outboardjets.com I can't type that good and there's a ton of info on this site about outboard jets.If its inboards u want the one thats close to u is www.riverproboats.com ..think there are a few BOC bro's that use them for kiddycattin.I run a northriver commander 21' with a V8 ,that I have had in as little as 4'' on plane ,,,,JET BOATIN I LOVE IT WOULD NOT RUN ANY THING BUT>>>they stop on a dime and will out do any prop on the water.:001: Keep ur nose to the wind ur powder dry and ur hull wet....

6. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    same here,but grass is not the bad side for me,it's ice bags

7. dcmust

dcmust New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have a uncle that has a jet and he says they suck the gas, and that if you add it to a outboard you loose about a fourth of you power. Not sure if that is true just what I heard. If you are going to run shallow water you really don't have many options.

8. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Ive had two, a tracker, and have a river pro, now. their is and advantage, you dont have any thing hanging under the boat, you can run shallow water,
    you have to use some common sense, with that much water jeting out their is that much sucking in. Try not to, startup with , back of boat aganist bank,
    roots fishing line rock and sticks can cover intake grid, 1.if your running and something gets sucked, tight agnist intake gride. get as much speed as you feel safe and turn key off sucking stops and the force of the water going by., should take , what ever is on grid away. mine is inboard, I check shaft ever so often,for fishing line wound up on shaft. when the osage river here is up, have to watch, pretty close, because of trash or drift comming down
    river. prop motors have big problem then to. Ive run one for 5 plus years now.

9. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO

Thanks for the info, I talked to the dealer and he said there were no jets available for my four stroke merc, but I see it listed on the outboarde site you shared.

10. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you use a jet tunnel hull you can run on wet grass. :smile2:

If you have a four stroke you will lose some power and speed but fuel depends on how many RPM's you will run it at. Some say 50% and others say 30% so I guess there is no rule of thumb.

The Merrimac has some very skinny water in places so learn how to read the water.

11. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Check this out Heeler:wink:

Attached Files:

12. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    MOREEEEEEEE:cool2:

Attached Files:

13. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Look what happened to my last rider.She just couldin handle those jumps.:lol:.......Heeler look at www.rockproofboats.com

Attached Files:

14. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Mark thanks for them pic's I will have to pass them over to my sponsor they told me I was hard on my boat let them see what hard really is.:lol:

15. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Yea.......:eek:oooh:

Attached Files:

16. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I been in there with the last pic before give me 3" of water and i'm gone

17. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks for the pictures and info.I'd say for around here a jet is just the ticket.thanks again.

18. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Heeler.....U might want to check these guys out.I've don't know lot about these boats but have heard they know there stuff on hulls and outboard jets........Ur humble servant beartrap and buoy.:cool2:www.snyderjetboats.comtheir in PA

Attached Files: