Need O ring HELP!

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by olefin, Jul 8, 2007.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    2 HP yard sprinkler pump. I thought I had pump problems so I took the pump apart. It joins in the middle with a clamp holding the 2 half's together and sealed with an O ring. The O ring is about 11 inches in diameter x 1/4 inch. It fits in a grove on the suction side and fits up next to the flat surface on the impeller side.

Problem... Now when I put the O ring back in the grove the O ring its about 2 inches too long!!! It's like it grew after I took it out. I tried shrinking it in cold water but not help... any suggestions?

It's like the pump in the picture but different name.

Attached Files:

2. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    I've had the same problem with smaller O rings on water filter cartridges from my well. Try packing the groove with vaseline to help hold the ring in place untill you get it back together. On the water filter application it helps to condition and lubricate the rings for an easier seal. Hope this helps.

3. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Take the side of the pump that has the O ring groove in it to NAPA, and get you a new O ring. (Or any parts house, really - NAPA just seems to have the biggest selection of O rings) Cheap and easy. Gotta be likin' that, buddy.

Vaseline is a petroleum product. Petroleum and rubber do not get along.

4. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Dayton, Had the same trouble as you did. Got mine back in finally and the darn thing leaked. Went and found a new one at a oil field suppy and that took care of it and what I should have done to begin with.
    Bill

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    That side is still plumbed in... 2" suction and I 1/2"discharge. I hate to have to cut the pipe for its so close to put in unions. I can order that O ring from the pump manufacture but it will probably take a week. From reading on the internet seems O rings do grow when removed. I'll call and see if anyone has one that size.

Agree about the Vaseline... and it's not going to help the 2 inches too long get in the grove!

Thanks

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Dayton,
    If you can't get the exact one you need just get a bigger one and use a razor blade to squarely cut it to length. A tiny spot of super glue will be sufficient to create a new O ring of the right size that will be completely reliable.
    I have done this many times...W

7. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    u can use a string cut it same as the groove use that to size up the orings at napa!

8. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    Not trying to argue about the vaseline but I have 16 filters at work that have to be changed on a regular basis. Never had a prob with breakdown of the O rings by using vaseline on them. By conditioning the rings on the filter seal I can remove and tighten by hand...no leaks and saves a lot of work fighting a wrench.

maybe my rings are made of another material...dunno

When you change your oil filter on your car/truck you lube the rubber gasket with oil to help it seal...same principle.

My rings ride in a groove in the cartridge and by "sticking" them in place to the maxium diamater of the groove I can take up some of the slack of a stretched ring.

I've also noticed that if given time to "dry out" they may partially return to their original size.

9. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    when you cot the o-ring toglue it cut it at an angle and glueit together it will last long time. thanks sam

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't have a problem getting it in the groove... it fits nice and snug other than being 2 inches too long. I called several places, no one local has O rings that large. I may try cutting it.
    Back when we lived in Odessa, TX this would have been no problem. :roll_eyes:

Thanks to all.

11. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    I change filters in locomotives and they have huge o rings and are always too big we grease em in place and never have a problem. we do it everyday

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You can buy "O"ring material by the foot and the glue at most industrial places that sell hoses and gaskets.Always buy,cut and try a little long at the time until it fits perfect,then glue.Too short and you are back to square one.A piece of 3/8" or even 1/2" wide piece of Goratex the right length and overlapped or x-ed on the ends.Goratex can be split to size as needed.Being it is water,I would try cleaning it well,and squeezing out a ring of silicone gasket material around the grove,then carefully clamping it back together.Let it set a couple of days and you are good to go if you did it right.If not,it removes easy.CAUTION.Don;t use too much and get it down in the rotating parts.What your "O"rings are made of decides if oil will dissolve them as oil and "O" rings are both used in hydraulic systems.Any "O"ring that you hope to re-use must be removed very carefully.Grabbing in one place and pulling it will always stretch it.For many years I worked with Sulfuric Acid pumps and other pumps put together like this.I have used all of the above methods in emergences as parts are hard to come by at night and on holidays.Some did not always work the first time,but they all worked and all lasted for years in most cases.That showed me that I did not always get it together right the first time,even with the right "O" ring.Sometimes you can even use the old "O" ring,but most stretched "O" rings are now too small to seal in the grove.What ever you use,gently and repeatedly tap on your clamp all of the way around as you tighten it.I used a rubber hammer.The more gentle tapping the better.This is very important to get the ring to clamp evenly according to the pump manufactures.It is also very easy to over tighten and break your clamp as I have done.I love you Brothers and Sisters,Peewee

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Peewee, that's the same instructions that came with this pump.
    I went ahead and cut 2.5 inches out of the O ring and put it together with super glue. It fit good and snug in the groove, looks great. Didn't get to try it for the lake was too rough to get to the check valve, (weekend boaters). I now believe I have an air leak in the suction line just above the water. Going to try some red food coloring tomorrow.

Where I worked had almost ever kind of pump and compressor made but it wasn't my job to work on them. :wink:

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    A "VERY TIGHT" wrapping with plenty of 3M electrical tape on the suction leak,may get you by for a while,until you can get everything together to fix it right.You can do this wet if you pull it tight enough.Don;t wait until it rust completely through and falls off at the water line which is very common.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

15. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    the vaseline does work i have used it for 13 yrs in filters for my chicken house. the splice method also works. it is important to get them aligned nearky perfect. we used a v block to do this. there is a manufacter that makes kits different dia. we had them where i used to work. only used them in a emergency. boliver

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    No problem there Peewee, the line is sch 40 PVC. I put it in 14 years ago and where I came through the seawall I should have used flexible PVC pipe. At that time I hadn't heard of flexible PVC. I think the break may be just inside the seawall. If so I will re-pipe it over the the top of the walk and outside the seawall. It won't look as good but the other choice would be a jackhammer and a mess of digging. The wave action may have caused the break.

17. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I work in a mold shop. I have this problem all the time. All you have to do is take razor blade and cut the o-ring. Take and trim it till it fits in the groove. Then take a spot of super glue and put in on the cut end. Now press them together. After you have finished take a little gasket sealer or "Blue" that you can get from any car parts place and put it around the cut. Assemble the pump. Guaranteed to work.

18. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Randy, this one didn't need any trimming to fit the groove. It fit the groove perfect. It was just 2.5 inches too long. I used Winston's suggestion to cut and super glue. Worked great, not even a drip at the case flanges.

The O ring had to fit the groove very snug or it would have came out when assembling the pump. For I had to beat on the case pretty hard with a rubber mallet to get the 2 half's to fit together. That is normal according to pump instructions.

I revamped the pump suction and it pumps like it did new. I run 12 large rainbird heads and 13 small popup heads all at one time. The sprinklers are a hill that has a 40 ft rise.

19. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    how big of o rings are u needing? i can prob get u some thru my work we have any kind u can imagine. we have alot of pumps and pipes sealed with orings. let me know i will chekc it out

20. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Kevin but don't need one now. I could have ordered one from the pump manufacturer, probably took a week or so. At that time it was dry here and I needed the pump back in service.