Need new fish finder

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by justwannano, Feb 24, 2008.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    My old Humminbird TCR101 quit working. I'm fairly certain it is the unit itself.
    So I'm looking for a new one.
    Don't have much money to spend.
    Which ones do you guys suggest?
    have a good one
    just

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'm anxious to hear ideas too, in the $150 range. Also, is a color unit worth the extra bucks? I know fish finders have been discussed a lot, but maybe someone will shed some light.
    BB in SC

3. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    justwannano

You would have to tell me how much money do you want to spend on a unit first, there is tons of them out there , but as you said you don't want to spend much, how much is not too much and then maybe we can answer your question a little better.

4. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Bill:

I would not recommend anyone to have a color unit for $150.00 , I am not sure you can even buy one for that amount unless you get lucky and find someone willing to sell there used one for that, but I doubt it very much.

5. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Bill here you go :

One here for $164.00

Click Here

One here for $169.00

Click Here

This is the best two I can find for you for the $150.00 range in Humminbird and Lowrance & Eagle.

Color units start for around $400.00

6. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Humminbird has a couple models in the $150.00 price range with a 5" display:
    #525, 1600 watts, 20* beam, 240x240 5" display = 129.99
    #535, 2000 watts, 20* beam, 320x320 5" display = 159.99
    or for a lil more, and worth the extra $50.00 (i have this one)
    #565, 2000 watts, 20*& 60* dual beam, 640x320 5" display 199.99

7. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Prices were quoted from the Ba$$Pro 2008 Spring Anglers Catalog.

8. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    $150.00 or less gonna be it I'm afraid.
    2 surgeries and having to change jobs all in one year just won't allow much more.
    thanks to all
    just

9. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi folks'
    A161 hummingbird is a b/w or gray and it has GPS , TEMP , Speed.Im very happy with it, highly recommend it. Oh it has the map of the lakes, rivers, and gulf. 3d birds eye view. Flasher, mob, routes, waypoints.

10. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    justwannano:

Good Morning I just want you to know, that is about the best we can do for ya ! if its less the 150.00 then its better you go with the smart cast for 99.00 that's about the best your going to do and it will not show you fish, it will show structure, but heck a tree limb could be a fish on it. To be honest with you , If I was you I wouldn't buy anything, now I would wait until I built up about 400-500 and then went out and got a good unit instead of playing around with these cheaper models, I don't think you will be satisfied with what you get out of 100.00 units. Sorry just being honest with ya.

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks for the replies. All I need is a fish/depth finder. I DON'T need mapping or GPS capabilities. So, you're telling me I have to spend $400 to $500 to get a decent unit fish/depth finder? From all the posts I have read from others, I gathered that you could get a decent unit in the $150 to $200 range. Am I missing something here?
    BB in SC

12. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    yeah Bill you are, if you want a good fish finder to help you find fish and structure, you will need to move up in the 4000 watt range and 480x480 or above on pixel, there is alot to these fish finders , I am not telling you that you can not go buy a fish finder for 200-300 but your not going to get real good quality out of it like you will the units that are higher in pixel and watts and target seperation. I started out with a 200.00 unit and went to a 500.00 unit and then moved up again to a 2200.00 unit. It just depends on what you want out of the unit. Do you have to have a higher end model, nope you dont.. and if you dont have the money thats fine, then go with one of the ones that I and chamberbd posted here, thats the best I can tell ya..

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    After much deliberation, I guess I will buy a unit in the $150 to $200 range. I fish the Big Pee Dee 90% of the time. With a cheap depth/fishfnder finder, I can find all the deep holes. I know where most of the holes are, but the river bottom changes from time to time. I simply don't need a unit with high pixels and wattage to be successful fishing in the river. Now... the 10% of the time I go to the Santee or other places, I may wish I had the better unit. However it would not be economically viable for me to spend so much for a unit to have to depend on for only 10% of my fishing. Really, if I could afford to spend that much on the nicer unit, I would. I do appreciate the replies nevertheless.
    Bill in SC

14. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    Depth Finder: Cheep !!

1 roll of Mason Cord $2.50, 1- Brick 0.15 Cents, Will work anywhere, on any body of water :wink::wink::wink:

15. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    LOL
    yup thats what I'm gonna be using for a while
    Have a good one
    just

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL, the old mason cord and brick idea won't cut the mustard in the Great Pee Dee when it is running strong. I decided on the Eagle Fishmark 320 from Wal-Mart. It gets a pretty good review, and was $152 + tax. Once again, I just basically needed a depth finder with a temperature sensor. When you locate the holes, the fish are more than likely there. Thanks again for all the replies.
    BB in SC

17. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    good luck D.H. seems to have the deal for $159 !!!