Need N

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by justwannano, Apr 13, 2007.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    A analysis of my garden says I have too much P & K. Way too much P & K. Not sure how I did that but they suggest that I just add N. Finding just N was a problem last year. Lots of complete fertilizer around but not just N.
    Its a small garden,30X40 so I don't need a whole lot.
    Any Ideas?
    I was thinking of just household ammonia. I just don't know how much.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    the best to ya
    just

2. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    You ought to be able to find a farmers COOP or farm supply store and buy a sack of ammonia nitrate or urea if you have too, the reason you have a build up of p & K is they will stay in the soil unless used or washed away, N goes away in about 6 weeks whether its used or not.

3. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    thank mister terrorist for ammonium nitrate being so hard to find nowadays. better luck finding ammonium sulfate which is just as good.
    well, good being the operative word here... that stuff is like junk food for plants. see if you have a Lesco dealer near you. is where the landscape pros get a lot of their stuff. is pretty cheap too. an ag co-op can help also and if all else fails ask the greenskeeper of the local golf course. if you get lucky and find a choice in your high nitrogen fert... look for a good percentage of "SCU" in the mix. any is good but the more the better.

this stands for sulfur coated urea and what this means is that most of the nitrogen is immediately available to the plants but the SCU percentage is the amount of nitrogen thats coated so that its slower to release. commercial grade fert has around 30 percent scu, its a tad more expensive but worth it. that being said... even the good stuff will only stick around for about 8 weeks tops. plain ammonium nitrate/sulfate is good for maybe two to three weeks and thats it. we jokingly call that stuff "crack" for your yard. gets it high for a few minutes then it craves more.

4. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    If you can find it, probably have to go to a farm supply or coop, urea is also a good sorce of N, it doesn't kick in as fast as the nitrates, but it lasts a little longer.

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The "N" stands for nytrogen. You need to find a bag of 32-0-0 or 26-0-0 to get what you need. Most of your agricultural retailers should have it on hand. The only restriction on it that I have seen is buying it in large quauntities. Hope you can find some in your area.