Need Metal Detector Buying Advice for Nitch Application

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by Tulcat, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I know we have some metal detecting experts on the BOC, and I'm hoping you can save me several hours of research time.

I need a metal detecter to serve a narrow nitch use I have in mind.

Most likely (some things still in the air) I am moving to the heart of the Ozarks (a place I hold dear) for a career change. One activity I really enjoy when I am in the Ozarks is hiking though the hills and hollers looking for wild caves to explore. I also quite often run across old home sites and sometimes still sites (moonshining). I would really enjoy being able to run a metal detector and see what I could find.

My nitch criteria is:

Must be under $500
    Must be lightweight for hiking (my pack already is north of 50# some trips)
    Must have great battery life as I will be out in the boonies for several days at a time
    Must store somewhat compact for packing
    Must be durable to take the trail life
    Hopefully will work in water (not sure if this is or is/not an option for any metal detector)

Do they make such an animal?

Thanks for any feedback.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I doubt you'll find what your looking for, in the 500.00 range.

I can recommend a Whites MXT for what your wanting to do with it. Also getting a smaller 6" DD coil for the homesites and still areas. They work well in trashy places and all have water proof coils.

The MXT also has 3 modes, coin/jewelry, relic, and prospecting. They have a longer battery life than most, near 40 hrs. Weight is comparable to most others, and they will take a fair amount of abuse. They are built strong. They also have a good ground balancing feature that elliminates interferance from ground mineralization.

For other reasons I traded mne in for something more compatible to the beach area I hunt.

3. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Thanks Bobpaul.

I guess if I have to modify my criteria, the top end price is negotiable. I'd rather pay a few more dollars to buy a unit closer to what I want.

4. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This is a link to a site that is all about metal detecting. These guys told me the Garrett ACE 250 is an excellent MD to start out with and it comes in at around 200-ish dollars and performs as well as or better than a lot of 500 dollar units...their words...not mine...I'm about to order mine really soon

Just ask these guys whatever question(s) you have and I promise you will get some very well educated answers on the subject....Guys from all over the world post on this site:

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The Garret Ace 250 is a good detector, but it won't do what was asked.

6. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have no clue brother...I'm not even experienced enough to be called a rookie...I was just mainly linking the site for him to gather as much info as possible. I cant wait to get a MD and I'm sure I'll prob upgrade after a season or two.......I'm so ignorant of the topic I have been asking questions to anyone that will answer about MD'ing....It's always nice to read a post on the subject from someone that knows what's going on LOL!!!!! Feel free to give us some pointers if you feel like it!!!!Happy-Hunting.....Billy

7. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have a Garret GTI 2500 and it will do almost anything you need. I am sure that the price has to have came down from what I paid years ago.

I am primarily a coin / nugget shooter, but if you put your real time into it, do the history research, study your target area, you can score big.

I think I have an old Garret Scorpion Nugget shooter also that I used in Alaska in the back room, it was a good, all around detector also. It could pick a flake out of a creek bank like DH on a free twinky ;P

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I noticed you wanted works in water do you mean the coil are the entire unit? I have a Garrett that I bought a few years back and it does everything you asked except the box is not water proof only from the coil up to the box. check at Dick's I think I paid 250-350 back then.

9. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    what do you guys think of the whites prizm II and the III

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    From what I've learned about detectors, it's the frequency they put out that matters. The lower frequency, the deeper they will detect a target. The higher the frequency, the more sensitive they are to detecting smaller targets.

Minelab has developed a multi freqency system and it will detect deeper than any other I've seen used, other than a pulse induction (PI) detector, but the PI detectors don't have ground mineralization balance and with the PI you dig everything.

My Minelab Sovereign GT will put out 15 different frequencies, from 1.5 up to 25. I've dug small silver items up over 1' deep, thin wire #6 fish hooks at that depth also, when I cut out the discrimination and hunt in all metal mode.

White, I think is the only other one with a multi frequency detecto and that's thier high dollar DFX. The technology they use is licensed from Minelab, and the DFX only puts out 2 or 3 frequency's. Hence the high cost of the DFX.

Next down the line in White's is thier MXT, which I had for about 6 months. Shoots a 14.5 frequency. Sensitive to small items, but max depth is about 8 to 10 inches and that's on some larger targets.

Cost of the MXT and my Sovereign GT is nearly the same, with the GT being a little more expensive.

Couple the GT with a good quality set of head phones and there's not much out there that can beat it. It also comes with a DD coil. Meaning that type of coil is like swiping a windshield wiper type signal very deep, rather than Whites standard coil that shoot a cone type signal. Meaning the deeper it goes, the narrower the signal is at detecting a target.

Getting a DD coil for a Whites machine brings the cost of it up more than a GT.

Whites are easier to use, but if you want good finds and be consistant at it, my suggestion would be to get a Minelab Sovereign GT. Most of us are smarter than the machines we use. If you can afford to get a GT, than get it. If you can't afford it, then save your money until you can.

I know that there's places that don't require you get good depth readings because of soil conditions. Not much goes deep, but for what I do, I need all the help I can get.