Need Medium SpinningReel $50 or Less

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by festus, Jan 21, 2010.

1. festus

festus New Member

I'm ordering an Ugly Stick, medium action, 9' long, meant to throw baits from 1/8 to 3/4 oz, recommended line size 4 lb to 20 lb test. This is long handled and very similar to a steelhead rod.

Need a light to medium size spinning reel, 10 oz or less, willing to pay $50 but could go $10 higher if I have to. It must include a spare spool. I want to use one spool of 4-6 lb test and another of 10-12 lb test. Will be used mostly for long casts, big bluegill, sauger, yellow and white bass, largemouth and smallmouth, light catfishing, light striper fishing, and maybe trout. Also will catch shad and skipjack.

Looking in BPS, I see:

Mitchell 300XGe, wt: 10 oz, capacity 10 lb test 210 yard. $59.99. Spare spool. I have a year old Mitchell 308 combo which is smaller and I really like it, but not as well as the old Mitchells.

Mitchell 308Xe, wt: 10 oz, capacity 10 lb test 210 yards. $44.99. Spare spool. This is the size bigger than my Mitchell 308.

Cardinal 100, wt: 10.5 oz, capacity 10 lb test 210 yards $39.99. Spare spool. I like anything made by Abu Garcia or Mitchell BTW.

Browning makes a couple of good reels within these parameters, however they don't include a spare spool.

Pflueger Trion GX-7, wt: 12.2 oz, capacity 10 lb test 195 yards $39.99. Spare spool. Sounds OK, but I want something a tad lighter.

Shakespeare President, wt: 11.2 oz, capacity 10 lb test 120 yards $59.99. Spare spool. Would do, but I'd rather have more line capacity or something lighter. I think I can beat that price somewhere else if I look, that's the only way I would consider it.

Penn Captiva, $59.99 similar to above reels, but it doesn't have a spare spool

Has anyone tried any of these reels and can you give me some input? Also, can anyone recommend a good reel in this price range? Again, I need a spare spool

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    All those seem like good reels.

3. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I have a cardinal 100 and I love it. Can't go wrong with Abu. I got mine from walmart. I think it was $36.99.

4. festus

festus New Member

Does the Walmart version have a spare spool, Steve? Sounds like a good deal if they have them locked behind glass where everyone can tinker with them.

5. steveturner024

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    Yeah it comes with a spare spool.

6. festus

festus New Member

Well, I just checked Walmart online and they had the Cardinal 101 for $21.04 clearnce but were sold out! :angry: However, it didn't mention a spare spool.

I also found a Pinnacle which would be perfect, however it doesn't have a spare spool.

7. steveturner024

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I can't ever find anything I'm looking for on walmart.com when it comes to fishing. Some of the walmarts sell different stuff so I'm not sure but they might have it at your local walmart.

8. Dutch

Dutch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    How about an Okuma ABF-30 (AVENGER ABF "BAIT FEEDER")
    $35.95 and comes with a spare spool

Check it out at CC for the specs

9. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, I'm gonna check Walmart on the reels. I remember them having some reels with spare spools, however I don't remember which ones. It's much cheaper to go ahead and get the spare spool with the reel instead of ordering it later.

10. Camo Fish

Camo Fish New Member

State:
    United States
    I have absolutely no ties to this company and I can say there is no better 2500-3500 series spinning reel I have owned than a Shimano Spirex. They are 59.99 and I have put them to the test with 15 lb Hybrids, big Skipjack and White Bass by the thousands. They have a double handle like a baitcaster and a quikfire trigger that takes no time at all to get used to. My good friend that fishes for White Bass exclusively has literally caught thousands of them off of one reel and can't wear it out.

11. festus

festus New Member

Thanks Glenn, I may consider this reel. I'd really rather have something with a higher line capacity, but the bait feeder makes up for that. One of these days I may get one of the larger models strictly for big fish. Reps sent.

12. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, I already have one of those Spirexes on a 6-1/2' BPS Bionic Blade. Great combo. It's a few years old and has caught a few fish. I use it mostly for pond and stream bass.

13. festus

festus New Member

I went ahead and followed Glenn's advice and ordered the Akuma from Catfish Connection. Also got some Kat Bobbers and some more floaters.