Need lower unit

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by justwannano, Sep 11, 2007.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    The lower unit went out on my 1966 West Bend by Chrysler 45hp outboard.
    Its a model 450 mod# 45521 ser# 3025.
    I'm needing to find a complete replacement.
    Anyone know where I can get one? Or maybe just point me in the right direction?

Unfortunatly a new motor isn't an option right now.

Thanks
    just

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

3. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I have a 55 h/p on an old boat im sure we can work something out

4. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Thanks.
    Let me look around first. Do they interchange? Hadn't thought about what models will work.
    This might not be as bad as I thought.
    have a good one
    just

5. Eurolarva

Eurolarva New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    West Bend became Chrysler in 1967 and 35 HP,45 HP and 55HP lower units should work on that motor. The only concern you would have is if your motor is a long shaft however you will just need to swap your water tube, drive shaft and add your lower unit extension to the motor you have. What is wrong with your gear housing? Is the outside actually broken? When bidding on lower units on Ebay I would keep cost around 100 dollars plus shipping. Chances are the lower unit you will get will have worn gears however these can usually be repaired for around 50 dollars from a machine shop.

6. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Yup you're right.
    Chrysler bought West Bend for an undisclosed amount of money in 1965.
    In 1966 they were known as West Bend by Chrysler.
    And finally in 1967 they were Chrysler.
    I'm looking for that $100.00 lower unit. There is one on ebay now but its pretty rough and it has a crack which sounds like the upper ear .
    Yes one of the ears that hold the gear box to the upper part of the lower unit is broken off.
    The screw that holds the upper ear of the bearing cage must have worked loose and when the prop hit it it broke off the ear.The screw is missing. The gear housing now sits lower in the back than the front. The 2 housings are seperated. Don't know if that means something else is broken or bent.
    I'm told that the parts in the gear box are common parts.Obtainable at auto parts stores.
    A new bearing cage and bearing costs $90 from a local boat dealer.
    Don't know if there is any gear damage or not.
    It was a pretty tight unit when I bought it last year.
    Still not sure what I'm gonna do with it.
    Thanks for the reply.
    have a good one
    just

7. Eurolarva

Eurolarva New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have a 1967 45HP Chrysler. I bought a lower unit on Ebay about 4 years ago for around 50 bucks. My old one the prop shaft was worn down about 1/8 inch all around at the prop shaft seal. I had this repaired along with taking a dremel and refacing the dogs on the forward gear and clutch. Since then it has sat in my garage just collecting dust. I did fill the lower unit then and did put on a new seal kit for the lower unit. I am going to probably get a new boat in the next year or so. If you are interested in this lower unit you can have it. Your cost would be shipping from Minnesota to where ever you live. The only thing you would need from yours is the drive shaft, water pump and water tube. The lower unit I got on ebay was a long shaft so I needed these items for my boat. If you are interested email me at ralgoetzatcomcast.net.

8. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    sorry I could not help you:sad2:

good luck

9. Eurolarva

Eurolarva New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    justwannano I received your PM however I can not respond because I am new and only have 6 posts so my PM privileges are still on hold. I will get a weight and find out what UPS charges are and let you know.

10. Eurolarva

Eurolarva New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    justwanno hopefully you have a PM. This is my 10 th post so I should be able to send a PM now.

11. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Got it.
    I PMed you back.
    thanks
    just