Need Lake Of The Ozarks Cat Help!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by BootyBay, Sep 22, 2008.

1. BootyBay

BootyBay New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've been fishing the lake for a number of years and THOUGHT I had half an idea on catching good quantities of 1-3 lb cats, but the last week humbled me. The raising and lowering of the lake for the rains last weekend (9/12-9/15) I know didn't help, but wow!
    I am used to fishing in June & July and not this late so I suppose that had an impact as well. Using stink bait on the bottom in 10-25 foot of water on slip weights depending on the thermocline and what seems to work on a given day/night.

We are located around the 40 Mile marker on the Osage. Someone please give me some opinions as to where I went wrong. Also what methods / baits are being successfully used during differents times of the year for larger cats. Time to go for the bigger cats!

2. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Somebody one here could probably tell you a good place where you are at. I would say drop the stinkbaits since they aren't working for you and try to get some shad for bait. Shrimp from the store maybe. Cut or live bluegill. I would just try to change baits, work different spots from deep to shallow.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Steve.

4. BootyBay

BootyBay New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Stink baits do OK during the hot summer months for small cats less than 5 lbs. First time I have been able to fish this late in the season on the lake. Have used bluegill (dead & alive) and shad sides over the years but not to much success during hot weather.

Guess I just need to start doing more float fishing and stay out of the coves for a while to build my knowwledge. Lots of good cats caught in the area on trot lines and jugs but have always been a pole & line fisherman. Somthing about the fight and setting the hook. Goes back to 30 years of fishing the mississippi with my Dad and Uncle I guess. Just need to learn a little more of the 'how', 'when', and 'where'.

Thanks Bluejay

5. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cut bluegill is as sure a thing as any on LOZ. If you can catch the green sunfish, that's even better. Rig them on a slip sinker and fish them off the docks near the old channels...plenty of eater sized blues and channels.

6. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    I would suggest checking the library on drift fishing.
    Get shad or mayby blue gill for bait and go fishing. I belive you will be succesful in twent to thirty five feet of water near a drop off.

The heavy rain and water flowing through the lake from Truman to Bagnel dams has certainly had a negative effect on the blue cat fishing on loz.

Powercat,

7. catfishbuck

catfishbuck New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been fishing on LOZ since Monday (22nd). Caught 2 small ones then--a blue 2# and channel 1#. I am drift fishing with both shad sides and using the heads along with Secret 7 dip bait and haven't caught anything since then. Have fished in coves in 20 to 35 ft. of water, off points, main channel, and even up on the Gravois Arm to no avail. Have always had success everytime out all spring and summer. Like you, I can't figure out what is going on. I can see what I think is cats on the fish finder but unlike before there are NO bites.:confused2: Anybody have any suggestions, feel free to let me know.