Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this sounds silly, but what's the best knot to use on my jugs? I realized I just know fishing knots, and am not to familiar with much else other than the half hitch :)

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I'm using pool noodle jugs, and 2 liters and bleach bottles.

If the pool noodles have a hookeye in them or jugs have a handle a simple clinch not will work . I wish I could explain the knot I use on qt. oil jugs but I am sure some answers will pop up to give you more info . I jug a few times a year so I am sure someone else that jugs more might have better answers .

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I will explain the best I can. Some of my knots have no name that I know of, just passed
from father to son. First I always use braid. Catfish seem not to be very line conscience.
You say you can tie a two half hitch. That will be fine for tieing to the neck of a jug or PVC
pipe in a noodle. But before you tie your knot wrap your line several times then tie your
knot leaving atleast a foot of free line excess. Now pull you line until it almost cuts your
hand while applying pressure on the knot with your fingernail causeing to slide down the
line toward the neck of the jug. Make it tight tight tight. Now the excess you left, wrap it
around the neck several times and repeat the knot again. This give you a double knot
and if tied tight will not come loose and the more you tie it the better you become.
Now for your hook knot. You can use a palomar or clinch knot but what I do is make a
knot like you would use for a drop loop on a trot line. You take the end of the line and
fold it back against the line forming a loop or noose. Then you wrap the two lines around
each other and then go back through the loop you make. This gives you a loop a couple
of inches long. Now run the end of the loop through the hook eye and around the bend
and pull it tight. By doing it this way you can change hooks with out retieing. You can use
a bowline for this. Now I am not joking with this. It makes a differance which way you
run you line through the hook. Wheather you toward the bend of the hook or away from
it. To test if you are doing it correctly. Lay the line over your arm with the hook hanging
over the other side. Now gentlely pull the line dragging the hook across your arm if it
trys to dig in you are correct. If the hook roll to its side and slides across freely you are
backwards.
I hope I have made myself clear. It is not complicated if you could see it. Its just hard
to explain in words. There are other knots I am sure but these are as good as any and
I think better than most. I have jug fished for over 45 years and had hooks to strighten
or break but I have never lost a fish to knot failure.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
for around handles and such here is a super simple knot that works better than you would believe if you want a loop made.

Take your line and make a simple overhand knot in it right near the end of it, pull it tight to make a knot in the line, next make another overhand knot further up the line and leave it loose and open some. Put your line through the jug handleand bring the tightened knot around and insert it through the center of the open (loose) knot, get it past the tight knoot and pull the closed knot tight over the line, pull everything tight and the end knot will slide down to the upper knot and stop forming a loop with your jugs handle going through it. the harder this knot is pulled the tighter it gets wether from you or a fish.

Like I said real simple and I use this knot for alot of stuff like some lures that you don't want tied tight to your line cause it ruins the action,like say rapalas,etc. never had it fail me on a fish or otherwise yet.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, you're talking about the arbor knot. That's the knot I went ahead used for attaching to the jugs too, I tie mine slightly different, your way sounds easier. I just went with the clinch and snell knot for my hooks

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Thank you, on the "arbor knot" name, guess I'm old, as we were tying alot of knots before we ever had names for them.
Sometimes simple knots are best, use the KISS principle(KISS= keep it simple stupid).

I usually snell or use a simple knot to attach my hooks directly to my mainline but I run more banklines and limblines so not a bunch of hooks to keep seperate. I stick the hook into a pool noodle peice and wrap them around the pool noodles,and have an arbor knot on the end and use a 6 penny nail or a toothpick to "pin" the end loop to the pool noodle. I use them cut into 1 to 2 foot long chunks for easier handling,and different color noodles denote different length of lines, works awesome.

The foam pool noodle, being abused by fisherman since they became available, I often wonder who they sell more too, fisherman or swimmers?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With the amount of jugs guys use, I'm going to go with fisherman. The snell knot is another good one I used. I also had pretty good success using the 3 way swivels to attach the hooks to the line

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.