need input on livers and wd-40

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by boedict, May 13, 2009.

1. boedict

boedict New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Ive been hearing about guys soaking chicken in wd40:eek:oooh: yea wd40 oil and catchn alot of catfish. Has anybody done this? :crazy:

2. rclydem

rclydem New Member

State:
    south carolina
    We use chicken and WD sometimes as a backup plan. We've never caught any big fish on it (usually 20# and under), but sometimes, when they ain't bitin anything else, you can pick up a few with it.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    WD 40 on bait is a very controversial subject. Even though it may work it is also believed to pollute our waters. We need to keep our waters as clean as possible for future fisheries. Just my opinion.

4. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Guess we better quit running out 2 cycle outboards.:confused2:
    I've used it it works OK.

5. Jighead07

Jighead07 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    The main ingredient in WD 40 is menhaden oil. Don't think fish oil will hurt the water too much, especially if maybe 1 percent of the fishermen I have ever met use it.

6. Catfish KID

Catfish KID New Member

State:
    godfrey,illinois
    i do environmental work and can guarentee it is illegal, just chech with the epa. please dont use this, just my 2 cent

7. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West
    Smooth Orange Go-Jo hand cleaner will work better than WD 40 if you dip your bait in it. Its just hard to find smooth orange anymore.

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    The only help I can give you is the livers tast good if cooked correct and the WD-40 will get the water out of your reel, other that that I am a Skip or shad user!

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thats a myth, no fish oils in it. Get caught using it and it'll be a big fine for sure!

10. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
  11. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West
  12. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I personally would'nt think of putting anything on a fresh liver other than something to help keep it from flying off the hook.

13. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ive seen guys do it and ive seen it work but never seen a fish bigger than 5lbs caught using wd....so why would i wanna do that lol....good luck tho hope it helps ya....

14. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I soak my ostrich livers in Dura-lube.... it's awesome, don't tell no one.....:wink:

15. boedict

boedict New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thanks to all of you for the info.I think Ill jusy stick to my thread fin and gizard shad. Got the boat ready going to head to the river tommarow after work and try to put some heavy weights in the boat.Ill post how things went.:tounge_out:

16. Jighead07

Jighead07 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I stand corrected as I posted what I was told without researching.But I'll never get caught , because I don't use it. The 1 or 2 people I knew to claim to use it, always used it on plastic worms for bass fishing.Does this mean I can't use Reel Magic either, can someone find the ingredient list on that one:confused2:

17. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I dont use it anymore and I dont care what is in it but I can guarentee that if you get a peice of washed out bait and dose it with WD-40 it is hard bait to beat and have caught flatheads and blues with it.