Need input on gear

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Riley498, May 17, 2009.

1. Riley498

Riley498 New Member

State:
    Kansas - Parsons
    Im not sure if its ok to post it in here but wanted to ask people in the area im in. I have 2 7ft ugly cat spinnin rods that I started cat fishin with 2 years ago and they are still rockin but over these past 2 years i have seen some better things I would like to switch to for river fishing and would like some opinions. Im wanting to go to some 8ft rods with baitcasters and I want to move to braided line but really dont want to spend over 100 for each, I know you get what you pay for but I try not to make my hobbie to expensive so input plz!

2. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I'd say go for a higher end reel and cheaper rod at first. Then when you have more money later upgrade that rod. even though you can only fish with 2 or 3 poles at a time its nice to have enough gear that you can hook a buddy up with a similar settup when they go with you. Theirs my 2 cents.

3. jrack1

jrack1 New Member

State:
    mo.
    base pro has combo Penn 209 and pole for about 60 bucks sometimes

4. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Nothing says you have to have matching rigs. Mix it up a little with the cheaper stuff, till you figure out what you like the best. That way when your ready to spend the big money, you'll know what you want.

BTW, you'll never have enough. At current count, I have 33 rigs, most of them are in matching pairs. So take my advise with a grain of salt. :confused2::embarassed::smile2:

5. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    That's what I'm tryin to tell my cousin.I'm trying soooo hard to talk him out of getting the new king kat combo's with the clicker.I always go by the weight of the reel to tell if its good are not.But that dosn't always work(Daiwa DF100A).

6. Riley498

Riley498 New Member

State:
    Kansas - Parsons
    catfish,connection hassome abu garcia combos with the 7000i reel for 100 bux but doesnt say much on what the rod is, Ill look around alot more as Im picky, My stuff works fine but my rods cant handle over 2oz weights and it bugs me when Im at the river, Well im going to neosho dam in erie now got some shad guts thats gunna get r done today

7. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    the rods probably aren't great, but they will work for a while, i've had my eye on them for a while myself.

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Jordan , if the majority of your fishing is going to be done on the Neosho down there, I assume you'll be targeting flathead. If I was you, Id try the Shakespeare Tidewater Baitcasters, slap them on a Wild Cat or an American Spirit MH or H action rod. Put some 30 or 40 lb. Big Game line on there, and you shouldnt have any trouble at all with any flathead you run across in the Neosho. Your fishing a smaller river, even though it has strong current at times, but you dont have to have a $150 reel to pull in good fish. Im just trying to help you get the best setup you can get for your price range, and you can get one of those setups for right around $100. Good luck. Post pics when you get into the hogs down there. :big_smile:

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    you could get two okuma classics 300l and two 8' king kat and a spool of 40# mono for about $100 total. i got that combo and got plenty of good fish with it. it throws 5oz plus bait pretty good.

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    sheiit did yall see the am spirit combo at cc for $40 sounds like a hot deal to me.

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    they have a $15 mail in rebait limit 2 with your abu purchase. two 7000i for $150 not bad at all considering a 7000c3i is 149.95 grab you a couple power pluss from bass pro or a couple king kats from cabelas and be right around $200 and get you by till you decide if youd like a different rod.