Need input on a crazy Idea

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Welder, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Was fishen a log jamb that had a dead deer in it full of wiggers this spring and was catchen the snot out of the eaters and a 25 lb blue. Anyhow I was reading about how the guys tie dead possums to trees for gills and crappies in lakes. That got my ol rusty brain gears turnen ( must not use my brain much ) lol. Gona try hangen a few dead possums in the trees that washed into the mo river and stayed up right in the deep holes. Was gona try this after the spawn thinking it might make a good chum slick in the Mo river where I want to fish for flats and blues by drawing bait fish in with the wigglers commen off it. Any thoughts guys? I would luv to hear em.

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i think the idea will stink!!!!:smile2::smile2:

3. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    we see something like that a lot here except they'll take chicken necks or backs put them in mesh bags(like the ones oranges come in)and string them up over the water. in a week or so you wigglers by the ton falling into the water and you'll be amazed at what will turn up under your "bag"
    carp, bluegills, crappie, bass, and catfish.

4. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've read about this... As interesting, and probably worth a try, as it sounds I'd rather get skunked a time or two..... That's gonna smell like my small ice chest does that I left bait in....

5. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Sounds interesting.I was wondering how high will you hang your bait from the water and how do you keep other people from finding it?or do you care.I chum a lot for cats useually for big channels but I dont like fishermen specialy the uninvited moving in on where Im fishing a bait hole.:cool2:cool Idea let me know how it works

6. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Kinda thought the smell and bad juju would keep the other fishermen away. But hey its everyones river. I was gona hang em 6 ft above the water. In late summer the river drops out and stays down well. I see alot of dead sams and thought hey it might work. Gona hang 4 or 5 in a tater sack and let it work. I think being up river and wind should help being the winds out the south west most the summer and that spot in the river puts me up wind of the stench I hope :smile2:.

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    It just might work....I have a small farm pond and when we first dug it....we put a few very small channelcats in it....as well as some bluegills and other small bait fish. Over the next few years I would shoot opposums for getting into my trash and flipping the cans....I would just throw them into the pond to get rid of them and hold down on the smell.( Too lazy to bury them). One summer evening when the kids wanted to try to catch some fish....we went down to the pond and baited up with chicken livers. After about 10 minutes we had caught 3 really nice channelcats around 10 lbs each. They definetly grew very fast so they must have eaten the dead carcasses.:embarassed:

8. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Sounds like you may be on to something. keep us updated on your success

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Most people around these parts just hang the hole chicken out over the water. Don't matter how high as long as it's over the water. The flies go to work, nature takes her coarse and you have white wigglers falling in the water. Most people don't realize that the smell means baited fishing hole they just want away from that smell.:wink:

10. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i know some old timers use that method, they just hang a possum or a raccoon in a tree by bailing wire around their feet. This works cuz after a while it will either dry out and stay there or rot off and fall in the water,

11. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Excellent idea..... find the bait, find the fish.

12. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    welder ............. a milk crate hung up works good too ......... all u have to do to reload is ease up and drop another roadkill in the crate....... then back away fast !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile2:

13. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Glad to see it ant original idea. But I ponder things.The milk crate idea sounds awsome. Think I will aproach from up river easy and use a lil net and pole to drop a fresh roadkill in. lol I dont need to bump it hangen over the boat. Ack it would be worse than a hog farm dead pile lol. Not to mention the thousands of unwanted lil white guests. But I think it would make a hell of a chum slick in the right river hole.

14. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    We used to use 1/4 inch hardware cloth and cut a 6x6 piece and put a string from each corner of it then put some meat in it to rot tied to an over hanging limb to attract bream.

Welder... now that you got them gears working again.. don't forget to oil em :smile2:

15. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i think it sounds like a hell of a idea. Seeing how im targeting jams.