Need information on sinker making material

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by beeheck, Aug 22, 2006.

1. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I have an egg sinker mold but no wire to pull through the mold to make the hole in the sinker. No problem I can buy the wire but I need someone to tell me what the diameter of the wire is. From what I have read the wire used in all egg sinkers are the same diameter unless you get for example a huge 5 ounce egg mold. Or how can I determine the diameter of the wire needed from the mold? It has a half a grove in both sides that clamps over the wire that in turn stops the lead from going all the way through the mold. Any thoughts? I fell like I should be able to figure it out but I'm drawing a blank.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Take your mold and go to a welders supply store. They sell brass rods in various diameters. That way you get exactly what you need. Simply bend an "L" into the brass rod, or run it through an appx 3/4" or 1" dia wooden dial and secure the rod. When it gets bent, as it will, discard it and use a new piece of your brass rod. The rods should sale for about .10 to .12 each for an appx 40" brass rod. Buy several, in cosideration of saving gas. LOL

3. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Thank you! reps on the way.

4. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    the pull wire on my small egg sinker mold the 1/8 to 3oz. mold the pull wire is 1/16"

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have one egg sinker mold with 3/16 inch wire, one with 1/8 inch wire, and one with (I believe) 3/64" wire. It is hard to say which size you need, but the welding store would have whatever it is.

6. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    if its a do it mold the same size pull pin is used in all molds under 10oz..1/16"

7. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Crome has the answer for do-it molds. I have a 1-5 oz egg sinker mold from do-it. They sell just the pull pin. Cabelas or Bass Pro Shop can set you up.

8. teamclose

teamclose Guest

dont know what size exactly your looking for but i just cut up old metal coat hangers that everybody has many extra of! they seem to work just fine and if your careful when you pull them out you can get quite a few pours out of them.
    hope this helps

9. BamaCats

BamaCats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    the coat hanger idea sounds good, what about using a old allen wrench or a small drill bit wouldnt it be about the same thing? i have never poured egg sinkers so i am just throwing ideas out there. or you can go to a craft shop and get some 1/16th craft wire for real cheap.

10. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Pick yourself up an old bike rim. Cut one of the spokes out, leaving the elbow to grab ahold to. They are stainless steel makes a fine pin.

11. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Thanks guys for the ideas, I just bought a pack of pull pins. I should have read this info earlier. I have an egg sinker mold, a couple bank sinker molds and a couple no-roll sinker molds. I enjoy making my sinkers, keeps me out of trouble!:big_smile:

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Stainless lasts alot longer than other pull pins, not as flexible.

I make mine out of the stainless wire inside Johnson/Evinrude control cables.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I use box nails when pouring my egg sinkers. I used a drill to make a slight adjustment to the grooves for the pin.