need information about the james river

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by gbigskin, Dec 7, 2008.

1. gbigskin

gbigskin New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i am taking my annual striper fishing trip next week and will be fishing out of kiptopeke on the eastern shore. i would like to go over to the james for a day of fishing for blues. my question is how far up the river do i have to go to get into the good fishing? can i fish the james with a 23 ft. sea pro or do i need a smaller boat. the names of some towns to launch from would be good. seems like i hear most about fishing out of hopewell but would like to cut the driving time down as much as possible and still have good fishing. coming all the way from oklahoma to fish is a big expense and i don't want to waste time fishing the wrong spot. any info. would be appreciated.

2. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Jordons Point is the place to put in for me on days with calm winds it is in the middle of prime cat fishing and is just outside hopewell next to the BHB.If the winds are high I put in at Deep bottom ramp which is up river from Jordons Point and the river is norrower.There is a eight dollar fee at Jordons Point and free a Deep Bottom.

3. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    Great place to start..Your boat is the right size too..but there are alot of hazzards in the james,If you dont have a gps that shows the depths and channels, take time to look at a map,or take someone who can show you around...Have fun be safe....

4. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    is there any good fishing down towards claremont? and more toward the mouth of the river? or is it worth the little extra driving to make it up to jordans point..

5. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Like JWFish said Jordan Point is a very good place to start "on a fairly calm day". If the wind is coming from the east or west at more than 10-15 mph however, that area can be rough to fish due to the size of the river. In that case I would try Deep Bottom and try to find a place out of the wind. Good luck!

6. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    In my opinion the good catfishing starts there..heading upriver the first curve is Sturgeon Point...i have seen 94 ft there and it only gets better heading towards hopewell...

7. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    wow, 94ft is plenty deep enough to sustain a large cat population..

im thinking about coming up and fishing saturday, this will be my first time ever fishing the james in that area for cats.. any info on where a decent place to find a shad would be? im working on getting my drift net legal in VA and getting all the necissary licenses, hopefully have that by the weekend, if not im working with the 10' throw net.

also whats a good target depth up there this time of year, im planning on doing some drift fishing if the weather cooperates..

ive fished some rivers here in NC hard in the winter with good results and im assuming the fishing will be similar there, but ive never fished water over 40-50' deep

8. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    There are a few creeks including upper chippokes creek heading up river for bait...becareful of shallow water..best to get a map if you dont have gps w/depths and channels,they are also good for finding holes to fish:wink:..I mostly anchor fish on the bottom,be sure to bring some heavy weight to stay on the bottom ...at least 8oz...good luck and be safe

9. hotva29

hotva29 New Member

State:
    va
    il be coming to the james friday and sat,we will be puting in at jordan point.i hope the weather will be good to us

10. hotva29

hotva29 New Member

State:
    va
    last trip we fished in different depths,but our biggest fish came out of 50 ft....48lbs,38 from same spot