Need Infomation

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by MRR, Jan 24, 2007.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Neighbor up the road has this 16 ft flatbottom for sale with a 35h p evenrude motor on it.He is asking $ 1000.00 for it. The problem I'm having is We moved out here in 01 and the boat has been sitting in a field ever since then not moved.I talked to the guys dad and he said the motor that was on the boat and before the boy could pick it up the motor got stolen.Anyway they gave him this motor which they have never heard run.(Sounds fish to me).Any way I feel considering how long it has sit IS it WORTH THAT MUCH What do you boaters out there think. Thanks in advance!!.

2. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Depends on whether the fuel was drained,was it covered? I would definately either insist on using it or get a qualified person to check it out. If it is ok then the price sounds good.

3. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Definately make sure the motor will run then go from there, make sure there aren't any leaks and stuff like that.

Wheelmobile07

4. Phantom309

Phantom309 New Member

State:
    Titusville Florida
    Ya wouldn't buy a new truck/car without driving it first would ya ??

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Don't know if gas was drained ,winterized or anything about it. and no it is not covered up.

6. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    the price is not bad, butt i'd tell him to get it runnin n take you out in it first. make him get it runnin, for a grand you can pick up a fairly nice boat if you keep lookin.

7. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    John,
    Number one who made the boat? Is it an all welled boat? How thick is the hull? How big is it 16 long by (what) ? Is it a semi-V or what? Does it have a steering counsel ? MP dOES IT HAVE A TRAILER ? If you cant drive it fill it up with water and look for leaks. I wouldnt think about buying it if it was not a all-welled boat.
    Good Luck
    Paul Lawrence (olddriller)

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It is a flat bottom, so I would think aluminium construction - thats good as it should not rot. Make sure you stick a knife in the wood at the transom to see if it is rotten. The motor, well they can set for fairly long periods of time. The most important check would be a compression test...this lets you know if the motor is frozen or does the piston work and have a good seal with the rings. Check for spark...got spark you should be good shape. From that you probably can make a determination to purchase or not... it is in the price range for those type boats/motors. I would replace the water pump and impeller, fuel lines, fuel pump diaphram, and rebuild the carbs. Once that is done, you should be in tall cotton. You spend 150.00 then take it to the lake and sell it for 1500. Good profit, or good boat - whichever you prefer. Don't forget to lube the trailer wheels as they can cost just about as much in expense as the motor. LOL

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would Ditto this. Good advise.:wink:

10. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    a friend of mine ran into a situation similar to yours. the boat mechanic told him ( youll have to find out the compression for your specific motor) if he could get 75% of the normal compression from the cylinder, the motor was worth getting checked. dont know if thats what you wanted to hear, but he spent 1200 bucks on the boat, trailer, and motor, and had the motor running like new for about 150 bucks.

11. KajunPCB

KajunPCB New Member

State:
    Panama City Beach,Fl.
    if he doesnt get it running for you i wouldnt pay $500 for it...if compression is good and it runs and lower unit works(check lower unit oil to see if there is water in it)...then its worth $1000