Need info

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by hear_kitty, Jul 3, 2006.

1. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    This is my new plane of attack 50lb gorilla super braid 3 way swivel and 18 to 20 in of spiderwire30 pound stealth 7/0 gaimakatsu or 8/0 and 4oz weight on 17 pound mono is this the way to go if not tell me why

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

sounds like a plan. Hope it works out for you.

3. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Ment to say 17lb line to the sinker

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Sounds like a plan in the makng. hope it all works out for ya.

5. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    sounds like you have a good rig there Don. but why are you going with a lighter leader than your main line? I usually go with a heavier leader that what my main line is, but that is just my personal preference. as far as your main line? 50 lb gorilla should handel almost anything you come across, and if it doesnt, i dont think i want to get near that fish anyway.

6. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

I would go with a mono shock leader...the length is up to you based on where you plan on dropping your bait. I use 50 - 80 pound test. It's abrasion resistant, and it will save your expensive braid in case you have to break off...

7. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi

8. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    what is up with the last post

9. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    The testline of the leader compared to the main line is personal opinion, but I perfer heavier line, because of them darn cats mouthin' it once they're hooked. And if there's any knicks in the leader, replace it then, before you loose a nice fish. I'd go with the spider wire stealth for the leader too, but dreamcatcher also knows what the heck he's talkin' about. Probably couldn't go wrong either way. Hope I've been of some help

-Red

10. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I may be wrong, but I thought folks used heavier leaders to prevent breakoffs from abrasion on rocks & teeth.
    Other folks prefer lighter leaders, so when they get snagged they only lose their hook & leader.
    I solved both problems (I think) by going up to way heavier main line than I really need (80-100# braid) so my 60# mono leader is all that I lose if I don't lift the entire tree off the bottom.
    50# main line and 30# leader is a perfectly workable rig for most flathead fishing. I'll show a knot trick on Friday that will make it work great.
    Tony

11. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    ARE you fishing swift current or need the weight for distance? I make my own river sinkers and use a lighter leader because of hanging the sinkers up and braking them off.

12. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    I figure farliy good curent just to hold the bait in place

13. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I always figure that if the weight will hold the bait from swimming away. then it will almost always hold it in the current, too.
    If the current sweeps away a 5" bluegill and a 3oz pyramid sinker, I look for another place to fish.
    JMHO

14. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

15. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

16. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

17. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Interesting reading 'vic'!

18. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Thanks vic that helps alot that just what i was looking for

19. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    It sounds like a decent set up to me. I would also personally use a heavier leader, but that is just personal preference.

20. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    LOL- and I lightened up this year.

25lb test and 50lb leader on the biggun, 17lb test and 50lb leaders on the lil rods.

:cool2: